Campus Celeb: Mary Cordes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Meet Mary Cordes, a native Texan who left the heat of the Lone Star state to brace the Milwaukee cold. This true blue southern belle is all over the Marquette campus. From having a job with President Lovell, to being a board member of the Marquette Rowing team, this gal does it all without breaking a sweat. I met Cordes the first few weeks of freshman year and got closer to her once I joined the Marquette Rowing team. She is a driven and dedicated individual who you always want on your side.

Name: Mary CordesYear: JuniorMajor: Political Science & HistoryHometown: Houston, Texas

Why did you decide to come to Marquette?: I knew that I wanted a small college experience, one that meant the professors would know my name. Marquette was the perfect size and had the energy I was looking for.What is your favorite class so far?: Definitely History of the Gilded Age with Dr. Efford. We learned about so much that happened in an era that most people just gloss over. It was fascinating.What are you involved in on campus?: I am on the board for the MU Rowing team. I also work in President Lovell’s office and at the Career Services Center.What got you interested in MU Crew?: I thought it would be a casual time commitment to help me make friends my freshman year. Little did I know that it would end up taking over my whole life!What is your dream job?: I would love to be a lobbyist for the State of Texas or for a petroleum company. I love my Texas roots!What or who inspires you?: My teammates inspire me every day. As a member of the Rowing team, I am surrounded by amazing coaches and rowers who push me to become a better person.What is your favorite place on campus?: The reading room in Sensenbrenner Hall is just breathtaking. I feel like I’m in Hogwarts.

A small town gal from America's Dairyland with aspirations to become a Physical Therapist. Loves rowing, cooking, scrapbooking, chocolate, couponing, animals, hanging out with friends, and anything Wisconsin related. Currently attending Marquette University.
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.