Style > Beauty

Beauty Hacks to Trick People into Thinking You Have Your Life Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Being in college and being a girl both have a lot of perks, but unfortunately they don’t always go well together. When balancing all the responsibilities of a young adult, it’s hard to also make sure you look your best. Sometimes we don’t have the time or we simply don’t want to put in the effort, but that’s okay! If there’s one thing college girls know all too well, it’s shortcuts. Here are some tips on how you can still look like a 10 when you feel like a 0.

1. More is more.

Forgot to take off your eye makeup from last night? Don’t waste time redoing the winged eyeliner we all know was a product of hours spent swearing at the mirror. Just slap another layer on there to fill in the places that so graciously rubbed off on your pillow. The same goes for patchy foundation. Keep some pressed powder in your handbag so that you can touch things up as your makeup starts to fail you. When in doubt, add to the problem (you’re still young, you can deal with your angry pores later in life). Now your classmates will think you actually got up early to look this good and you’ll be the inspiration to others that you truly know you are.

2. Fake it ‘til you make it.

If you have made it this far in life without owning dry shampoo, then you are unknowingly making things significantly more difficult than they need to be. With one inexpensive purchase, you can turn second day hair into a clean, luscious masterpiece. You will also cut down on the time spent styling your hair and lessen any damage caused by curling, straightening, or blow-drying. Not to mention, if you dye your hair this will help the color fade slower. You will cry less when you look at your bank account statements if you are not visiting the salon every couple of weeks.

3. Hide what you don’t want them to see.

Don’t let the bags under your eyes silently tell everyone about your horrendous sleeping schedule. Make sure you are using a concealer that is a few shades lighter than the rest of your face to brighten things up and give off a false sense of freshness. Adding some blush to your cheeks will also help you look less dead. No one has to know you have been running on caffeine for your entire college career.

4. Tiny distractions.

You don’t have to wear anything complicated or fancy to look like you care, but don’t just settle for exercise clothes. You are better than that. Small details of your outfits can make a big difference in helping you seem way more put together than you actually feel. Dresses automatically make people think you are classy, even if they are simple (and honestly they’re super flattering and way comfier than squeezing into a pair of skinny jeans). Putting on jewelry takes all of five seconds and will spruce up any boring outfit. Bright lipstick also makes a nice addition to an otherwise dull look. Remember that beauty is basically an optical illusion and there are definitely ways to achieve it effortlessly with minor changes to your style.

5. You only need one.

Making sure that every element of your appearance looks perfect is far too stressful. Believe it or not, you don’t need flawless makeup and outfits to look impressive. Just pick one of them to focus on and you’re golden. If your makeup looks great, then you can get away with a boring outfit. Similarly, if your outfit is on point, you can skip out on the elaborate makeup. Only one thing needs to grab peoples’ attention in order to convince them you have got it together. 

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy