6 things to Keep in Mind as You Prepare for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

As you are struggling to type 3 final papers, study for 4 exams, and complete homework assignments for the classes you aren’t typing final essays for, here are 6 little reminders to keep in mind as the school year winds down. Although these are very simple things, when people are stressed, these simple things are almost forgotten as soon as the semesters end approaches.

1. Your mental health is more important than academics

Breaks are important, and a paper is not worthy of a panic attack. Do what you need to do so you can relax a little while preparing for the end of the semester. Mental health is often forgotten about when it comes to the end of the semester crunch, but if you are stressing out and cannot calm yourself down, remove yourself from your work for 15-45 minutes, go for a walk, stretch, meditate, or whatever else you need to do to calm and refocus yourself.

1. Grades are not accurate measures of your intelligence

The American education system is set up in a way where intelligence is not measured accurately. Many final exams are in-class tests, which don’t measure intelligence, but memorization, so if you are having a bad day, or are a bad test taker; chances are you might not do too well on a test. It’s not the end of the world. One bad grade is not the end of the world.

1. Don’t bite off more than you can chew

Don’t add on extra stress to your load when you already have a lot going on. It’s okay to put yourself before others favors. It doesn’t make you selfish, if you physically or mentally cannot do something, due to the fact that you’re doing a million other for school then don’t do those things.

1. Sleep is important

Some sleep is better than no sleep at all, even if it’s for an hour. Pulling all-nighters is unproductive, and will make you more tired.

1. Don’t forget to eat

Food is a necessity to survive, although you might not have much time to eat, it is still something that needs to be done. It’s okay if you have a few unhealthy meals in the next few weeks. Some food is better than no food.

1. The end is near

Summer is almost here, and all of the academic stress will soon be over. You can do this!

Professional nap taker and animal lover. Future goal: pet all of the dogs.
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy