17 Things You Should Start Doing in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Have you kept your New Year’s resolution? Me either.

Every year, we tell ourselves that we will start eating healthier, work out at the gym more, or focus more on our wellbeing, but, in reality, after a few weeks life gets busy and it becomes harder to follow through with our New Year’s resolutions. However, there are plenty of simple ways to start living a healthier lifestyle without making yourself feel guilty about not following through with your #1 goal. Sometimes you just need to break it down and take it day by day, step by step, until you see the results you want.

Here is a list of 17 things you should start doing in 2017:

1. Spend More Time Outside

Whether it’s taking a walk around the block or going on a ten mile bike ride, getting some fresh air is great if you need to clear your thoughts and move your muscles around. 

2. Drink Plenty of Water

Drinking water is a great way to cleanse your body and give you a natural source of energy. Stay hydrated!

3. Remove Toxic Things from Your Life

Whether it’s a person, a messy closet, or a negative mindset, remove anything and everything that stops you from being the best you can possibly be.

4. Eat More Natural Foods

Your mom always says to eat your fruits and vegetables and she’s right. As much as you want that greasy piece of pizza, your body will thank you later for eating the healthier options.

5. Spend Time by Yourself

We all need some time to be alone with our thoughts and reflect. Try spending 20-30 minutes each day listening to soft music, meditating, and listening to the sound of your heartbeat.

6. Read a Book

Oh the places you’ll go! Let yourself explore another world for an hour or two.

7. Get More Sleep

When you get the chance to get a W, don’t take the L, get some Zs.

8. Stay True to Who You Are

You are who you were created to be. Don’t forget that.  

9. Reconnect with Old Friends

Send them a text, give them a call, write a letter if you want to. Reach out to someone you haven’t heard from in a while and find out what they have been up to.

10. Challenge Yourself

Try something new, do something that scares you, do something that makes you feel alive. 

11. Watch the Sunrise There is something so special about being the only person awake while the rest of the world is still fast asleep.

12. Make a Bucket List

1. Drink the World’s Best Cup of Coffee 2. Reenact the Lizzie McGuire Movie 3. Meet Jesse McCartney

13. Pursue the Things You Love

It might sound cliche when someone says, “Follow your dreams,” but it’s not as bad as living a life you are not proud of. 

14. Practice Empathy

Climb into someone else’s life, walk around in it, and see things from their perspective.

15. Perform Random Acts of Kindness

Be kind in all that you do and the world will return the favor.

16. Stop Comparing Yourself to Others

No one can walk the path set before you. This is your journey and yours alone.

17. Dare to Be

Dare to live, dare to dream, dare to be.

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy