nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

1 in 5: A Statistic That We Should Remember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

In​ ​high​ ​school,​ ​I​ ​ran​ ​cross​ ​country.​ ​I​ ​suffered​ ​stifling​ ​hot​ ​sprint​ ​workouts​ ​and​ ​crippling three​ ​mile​ ​races​ ​because​ ​of​ ​the​ ​community​ ​my​ ​team​ ​provided​ ​me. ​One​ ​of​ ​my​ ​teammates​ ​was​ ​physically​ ​one​ ​of​ ​the​ ​most​ ​impressive​ ​people​ ​I​ ​have​ ​ever met.​ ​Once,​ ​after​ ​downing​ ​a​ ​whole​ ​carton​ ​of​ ​almond​ ​milk​ ​on​ ​the​ ​eve​ ​of​ ​a​ ​big​ ​race,​ ​she​ ​gracefully ran​ ​her​ ​hardest,​ ​the​ ​look​ ​of​ ​determination​ ​on​ ​her​ ​face​ ​never​ ​wavering.​ ​She​ ​was​ ​beautiful​ ​and hilarious,​ ​and​ ​she​ ​walked​ ​through​ ​the​ ​halls​ ​with​ ​her​ ​head​ ​held​ ​high.​ ​And​ ​don’t​ ​even​ ​get​ ​me started​ ​on​ ​her​ ​dance​ ​moves. No​ ​words​ ​can​ ​do​ ​justice​ to ​how​ ​much​ ​her​ ​resolve​ ​and​ ​grit​ ​inspired​ ​me,​ ​or​ ​how​ ​her​ ​quirky mannerisms​ ​got​ ​everyone​ ​clutching​ ​their​ ​stomachs​ ​in​ ​fits​ ​of​ ​laughter​ ​on​ ​long​ ​bus​ ​rides​ ​from cross​ ​country​ ​meets. 

This​ ​past​ ​summer,​ ​I​ ​got​ ​an​ ​unthinkable​ ​call.​ ​It​ ​was​ ​a​ ​balmy​ ​summer​ ​day​ ​when​ ​one​ ​of​ ​my teammates​ ​called​ ​to​ ​tell​ ​me​ ​that​ ​this​ ​crazy​ ​hilarious,​ ​talented​ ​girl​ ​had​ ​taken​ ​her​ ​own​ ​life. 

The​ ​weeks​ ​following​ ​showed​ ​me​ ​who​ ​my​ ​extended​ ​family​ ​is:​ ​those​ ​mothers,​ ​neighbors, teachers,​ ​and​ ​coaches​ ​who​ ​grasped​ ​my​ ​shoulders​ ​and​ ​cried​ ​with​ ​my​ ​team,​ ​who​ ​vowed​ ​that nobody​ ​else​ ​would​ ​silently​ ​struggle​ ​like​ ​she​ ​did.​ ​This​ ​summer,​ ​I​ ​realized​ ​that​ ​the​ ​definition​ ​of family​ ​does​ ​not​ ​end​ ​with​ ​those​ ​who​ ​share​ ​your​ ​blood,​ ​live​ ​in​ ​your​ ​home,​ ​or​ ​attend​ ​family holidays​ ​with​ ​you.​ ​Sometimes,​ ​it​ ​is​ ​those​ ​people​ ​who​ ​are​ ​there​ ​when​ ​your​ ​world​ ​is​ ​breaking down​ ​or​ ​you​ ​feel​ ​like​ ​you​ ​cannot​ ​keep​ ​going. 

It​ ​makes​ ​me​ ​sad​ ​that​ ​sometimes​ ​that​ ​it​ ​takes​ ​tragedy​ ​to​ ​realize​ ​the​ ​extent​ ​of​ ​your support​ ​system.​ ​This​ ​realization​ ​needs​ ​to​ ​began​ ​earlier,​ ​because​ ​mental​ ​health​ ​concerns​ ​affects every​ ​facet​ ​of​ ​our​ ​lives. According​ ​to​ ​National​ ​Alliance​ ​on​ ​Mental​ ​Health,​ ​one​ ​in​ ​five​ ​Americans​ ​have experienced​ ​a​ ​mental​ ​illness​ ​or​ ​battle​ ​with​ ​it​ ​daily.​ ​Whether​ ​that​ ​be​ ​nervousness​ ​bubbling​ ​in​ ​the stomach​ ​accompanying​ ​big​ ​crowds​ ​or​ ​unfamiliar​ ​faces,​ ​depression​ ​that​ ​blows​ ​in​ ​with​ ​the​ ​blistery winter​ ​winds,​ ​or​ ​nagging,​ ​biting​ ​thoughts​ ​of​ ​low​ ​self-worth​ ​and​ ​confidence,​ ​mental​ ​health concerns​ ​come​ ​in​ ​all​ ​shapes​ ​and​ ​sizes. 

And​ ​they​ ​do​ ​not​ ​only​ ​affect​ ​those​ ​with​ ​the​ ​scars​ ​to​ ​“prove​ ​it,”​ ​the​ ​downtrodden,​ ​or​ ​the antisocial.​ ​Sometimes,​ ​it​ ​may​ ​be​ ​the​ ​person​ ​with​ ​the​ ​blissful​ ​smile,​ ​the​ ​brainiac​ ​destined​ ​for greatness,​ ​or​ ​that​ ​athlete,​ ​sprinting​ ​towards​ ​the​ ​finish​ ​line.​ ​Sometimes,​ ​I​ ​think​ ​it​ ​is​ ​important​ ​to step​ ​back​ ​and​ ​realize​ ​we​ ​are​ ​all​ ​carrying​ ​baggage​ ​and​ ​covering​ ​up​ ​scars​ ​with​ ​band​ ​aids​ ​that sometimes​ ​just​ ​do​ ​not​ ​stick.​ ​These​ ​insecurities,​ ​difficulties,​ ​and​ ​rough​ ​Monday​ ​mornings​ ​are what​ ​make​ ​us​ ​human,​ ​and​ ​being​ ​human​ ​is​ ​not​ ​something​ ​to​ ​be​ ​ashamed​ ​of. 

Mental​ ​health​ ​is​ ​an​ ​issue​ ​that​ ​needs​ ​to​ ​be​ ​addressed​ ​every​ ​day.​ ​In​ ​classrooms,​ ​in conversations​ ​with​ ​family​ ​and​ ​friends,​ ​and​ ​in​ ​daily​ ​life,​ ​the​ ​stigma​ ​surrounding​ ​mental​ ​health needs​ ​to​ ​be​ ​erased.​ ​Everyone​ ​has​ ​something​ ​to​ ​share,​ ​some​ ​experience​ ​or​ ​perspective​ ​that makes​ ​you,​ ​you. These​ ​conversations​ ​can​ ​be​ ​catalyzing​ ​because​ ​they​ ​offer​ ​up​ ​shared​ ​experiences​ ​- those​ ​connections​ ​that​ ​can​ ​be​ ​solidified​ ​in​ ​the​ ​moments​ ​of​ ​weakness​ ​that​ ​ultimately​ ​make​ ​us stronger. 

As​ ​finals​ ​rapidly​ ​approach,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​workload​ ​grows​ ​to​ ​seemingly​ ​insurmountable​ ​levels, it​ ​is​ ​important​ ​to​ ​take​ ​time​ ​to​ ​realize​ ​you​ ​do​ ​have​ ​a​ ​support​ ​system​ ​to​ ​grab​ ​some​ ​steaming​ ​hot chocolate​ ​with,​ ​and​ ​you​ ​can​ ​count​ ​on​ ​those​ ​people,​ ​the​ ​old​ ​and​ ​the​ ​new,​ ​who​ ​will​ ​jump​ ​at​ ​the chance​ ​of​ ​a​ ​Christmas​ ​movie​ ​marathon. 

Asking​ ​for​ ​help​ ​should​ ​be​ ​seen​ ​as​ ​being​ ​brave​ ​enough​ ​to​ ​admit​ ​you​ ​are​ ​human. 

And​ ​remember,​ ​you​ ​will​ ​never​ ​be​ ​alone.

I am a freshman at Marquette University, majoring in political science and journalism. I am from Oak Park, which is a suburb of Chicago, and am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy