Why Being Single on Valentine’s Day Rocks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

All my single ladies: are you feeling lonely because the dreaded 14th is approaching? Does the month of February drive you absolutely insane? Do you plan on spending this Tuesday hiding in your room eating a family size bag of chips and watching a corny rom-com until sleep eventually comes? Well, I (and Beyoncé) just won’t accept this.

The world may have convinced you that this day is all about couples and enough lovey-dovey gestures to last an entire year. But who says you need a SO to enjoy this holiday? Take one from JB, love yourself and make this Valentine’s Day a day to remember.

Treat Yo Self

While couples are off spoiling each other, you get to do something even better: spoil yourself. As if you need another excuse to blow the money you don’t have, this day makes it totally okay to buy yourself that necklace you’ve been obsessing over for months. And who said you need a lover to buy you flowers? Girl, get those roses on your own.

Play Dress Up

Okay, I’ll admit it. Dressing to impress is one of the best parts of dating. But being single on V-Day doesn’t mean you have to miss out on getting dolled up and rocking that bold, red lipstick. Get your girls together and be pretty for you, just because you can.

Cheap Candy

Arguably the best part of Valentine’s Day is that it’s only one day. A mere 24 hours of chocolate, jewelry, stuffed animals, corny cards and pink everything… and then it’s over. Lucky for us singles, we’re able to capitalize on all the candy and gifts that will be discounted once the clock strikes midnight on February 15th.

Stress Less

If taken seriously, the Hallmark holiday calls for high expectations, weeks of planning and a decent amount of money spent. The single life saves you time, money and effort that can be invested into the most important person in your life: you. Or, for a less selfish alternative, those efforts can be used to make a friend’s day or to thank your parents just because. You don’t have a relationship on the line here, so there’s no reason to freak out. It’s just another day.

Choose Your Valentine

No BF/GF? No problem. On this day, any person in your life could be the center of your attention. You may not be in love, but that doesn’t mean you can’t show love to the other significant people in your life. The choice is all yours. And yes, alcohol is an acceptable Valentine.

This February 14th, don’t be bitter. Don’t look at being alone as being lonely, but as being free to spend your day as you please. As Sammy Adams says, “single doesn’t mean I’m looking for somebody.” Make Queen Bey proud and do what makes you happy today. After all, it’s just another day.

Courtney is a Pop Culture Blogger for Her Campus National and contributor to the Her Campus Marist College chapter. She graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Communications, is an avid feminist and eventual professional journalist.