Red Fox Talent: Brian Bocanegra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

After seeing the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts (MCCTA) production of Cabaret a few weeks ago, it is hard to believe that the star of the show, Emcee, is only a sophomore. Brian Bocanegra, the multifaceted and dynamic triple-threat from New Jersey, can do just about anything onstage. Offstage, his funny and gregarious personality makes him an exemplary classmate, Foy resident, and friend. Her Campus is very lucky to have been able to catch him for a quick interview!

HC: What is your hometown/state of residence?

BB: Old Bridge, NJ

HC: What is your major and/or minor?

BB: Media Studies and Production with a concentration in Film and Television and a minor in Theatre!

HC: What are you involved in on campus? Which is your favorite?

BB: I’m a dedicated member of the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts on campus and really love it. I was not only able to continue my passion but even met my closest friends through MCCTA.

HC: What is your favorite food?

BB: Really any food; but if I had to pick some sort of food, it would most likely be Chinese…or any kind of seafood!

HC: Coke or Pepsi?

BB: Pepsi ALL the way. I’ve gotten flack for this, but I will always love Pepsi.

HC: Why did you pick Marist?

BB: My old high school drama teacher went to Marist and casually mentioned it to me one day. I originally wasn’t going to look into it, but when I came to campus, I really loved the community aspect. It also wasn’t as big as the other schools I had looked into which I also ended up really liking.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Marist?

BB: That’s hard. It’s definitely a toss-up between the people and the views. Marist is flooded with a lot of passionate, friendly, helpful, and just overall kind individuals—my friends being some of them. They really push and inspire me to be the best version of myself. And about the views, like c’mon. It’s gorgeous.

HC: Who is your favorite professor at Marist? Why?

BB: Just this past semester I had Ethics with Renée Eastabrooks and anyone who has had her can tell you that she is such an inspiring individual. She has led, in my opinion, the most interesting life. Yet, she remains so relatable and has such a genuine interest and investment in her students. I recently saw her and it was really nice catching up and just talking about life.

HC: How long have you been performing? When did you start? Is there a story?

BB: I had my first role on stage in 6th grade as “Fishman” in Beauty and the Beast and, if you know the show, this role is VERY crucial to the storyline. And then in 7th grade I went on to play Prince Charming in Cinderella (obviously a downgrade). In all seriousness, I really consider Prince Charming my first role because it was something that, at the time, meant a lot to me. My grandma used to call me her “Prince Charming” and she had passed long before I got the part. It made me feel like she was smiling down on me when I was performing.

HC: What has been your favorite role so far?

BB: I most recently played the Emcee in Marist’s production of Cabaret, and I definitely think there’s something special about him. I don’t think I’ve ever played such a dynamic character with so many layers. He was so light and fun yet dark and sinister at the same time; it was really challenging getting a good grip on him, but also made him so fun to play.

HC: Describe your experience in Cabaret.

BB: Cabaret is an important show, and especially relevant today. The show demands that you step outside of your comfort zone and the show just doesn’t hit as hard if you’re not fully enveloped in the characters. Working with the production team, director, and my fellow actors (not just in Cabaret but in every MCCTA show I’ve done) was such a pleasure and they’re all like my family. Couldn’t imagine going through this process with anyone else.

HC: How did you balance academics, life, and the show?

BB: I don’t know. Honestly, I have no idea. Finding time whenever you’re not sleeping or eating (which I barely had time for anyway) is key. Also, I probably could’ve lessened the burden if I didn’t procrastinate. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

HC: What is your favorite thing about performing? Why?

BB: I love the live aspect of it. They say that the audience is the other actor on stage with you, and it’s so true. You always hope, as an actor, that someone, if even just one person, is going to walk away from a performance affected—positively or negatively. Eliciting some sort of emotion or reaction from people is what is the goal of acting. I also love delving into a character and just finding what makes them tick, what are their wants and needs, creating relationships with other characters, and being a voice for their story.

HC: Who is your favorite actor/actress? Why?

BB: Meryl Streep. Do I even need to answer why?

HC: What is something about you that most people don’t know? Fun fact?

BB: I did a lot of extra work for TV shows and movies when I was younger. I have really embarrassing old headshots of me holding a basketball and a windbreaker over my shoulder? I would share but they all mysteriously burned in a fire…crazy. But the coolest thing I did was some extra work for “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice,” and you can even see little fifth grade me in the movie!

HC: When you’re not performing, what are you doing?

BB: Usually I’m on my computer either doing some sort of work or watching Netflix. I’m currently on season 3 of “Shameless” and trying to catch up on “This Is Us.”

HC: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

BB: I wished the public education system valued the arts as much sports. It’s too often that arts programs are cut due to low school budgets, but not many people understand what it means to some kids to have that outlet for self-expression. There’s a real community in the arts that teach core values that extend beyond the realm of theatre, music, dance and other arts programs. My high school theatre department taught me about work ethic, rejection, and dedication—things that are invaluable to people entering the “real world.”

HC: Do you have any advice to rising sophomores, now being in your second semester of your second year?

BB: Be kind to yourself. I know that I can be really tough on myself when it’s crunch time and it really doesn’t do anything productive. You’ve got this. It’s okay that you don’t know everything or are confused. Let yourself grow and things will start to make sense.

HC: What is your favorite quote?

BB: “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life; it goes on.” -Robert Frost