New Music Alert: Florence and the Machine, King Princess and More!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

This past year, my music taste has expanded considerably.  I used to be much more closed off in terms of genre, but now, my preferences have become much more eclectic in nature.  There have been some amazing songs released recently that I have been absolutely obsessed with.  Here’s some music that I’ve found myself addicted to in the past couple of weeks.  

1) “Sky Full Of Song”–Florence and the Machine 

Florence Welch is a goddess and no one can tell me otherwise.  This song is stunning, with beautiful lyricism and soaring vocals.  The actual music of the song is very laid back, giving off an acapella feel with its focus on the vocals.  This is Florence and the Machine’s first single since 2016, and I am so excited to see what else they have in store in the year to come.  

2) “One Kiss”–Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa

I have never been a very big Calvin Harris fan, or rather, I’ve never been a huge fan of electronic dance music.  Despite my hesitancies, I can’t help but love this upbeat and undeniably catchy song.  However, I may be biased in my love for this song due to my obsession with Dua Lipa.  Her voice is amazing in any context, so I think I would love anything she put out.  

3) “Talia”–King Princess

I absolutely LOVE this song.  After hearing King Princess’ first single, “1950” I was already sold, and after hearing “Talia,” I’ve become an extremely devoted number one fan.  This song depicts true artistry, from it’s lyrics to it’s musical composition, the song is a masterpiece.  I cannot wait for King Princess’ debut album, because based off of the first two singles, it’s sure to be an amazing one.

4) Kacey Musgraves’ new album “Golden Hour”

This album came as a huge surprise to me.  I have never been a country music fan, it’s just not what I typically chose to listen to.  However, after hearing such great things about “Golden Hour,” I decided to put my country pretenses aside and give it a try.  To say I was stunned would be an understatement.  I love this album, I genuinely do.  There seems to be a blend of different genres in her songs, with some being more folky pop than straight-up country.  I think my favorites off of this album would have to be “High Horse,” “Butterflies” and “Rainbow.”

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.