This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

This past Wednesday, Harry Styles cryptically tweeted, “I love it when we play 1950.”  I, of course, had to find the meaning behind this unexplained and seemingly random tweet.  Upon one Google search, I learned that Styles was gifting us all with the knowledge of an exceptional emerging artist.

King Princess is a young artist from Brooklyn, New York.  ‘1950,’ King Princess’ debut single, is an amazing piece about love, and more specifically, queer love.  King Princess states, “Queer love was only able to exist privately for a long time, expressed in society through coded art forms.  I wrote this song as a story of unrequited love in my own life, doing my best to acknowledge and pay homage to that part of history.”

‘1950’ is a flawless debut, being both lyrically profound and emotional while still exhibiting a playfulness that is intoxicating.  I have had this song on repeat since I first listened to it, and each listen leaves me wanting more.  King Princess is refreshing, different, and definitely an artist to look out for.  I look forward to future projects and think that King Princess is here to stay.

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.