How To Properly Wake Up in the Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

One of the biggest struggles of our days is simply getting out of bed. Here are some tips to help you wake up and feel great throughout the day.

Get enough sleep 

As a college student, you should get between 7-9 hours of sleep. If you are getting a lot less than that, you will wake up feeling groggy and may sleep for a class or two in the semester. I know if I don’t enough sleep for multiple days, I get sick which puts me at even more of a disadvantage.

Listen to your alarms 

I know in high school, I used to be able to get up at the first alarm. Now, I need three to get up. Try setting very few alarms, and train yourself to wake up to the first one.

Eat within an hour of waking up

This helps wakes you up, as your metabolism has slowed down to conserve energy as you slept. This helps wake you up, and gives you energy for your day. And don’t even consider skipping breakfast altogether; it’s necessary for the brain, body, and gives you everything you need.

Drink a glass of water 

Drinking water in the morning is so good for your body! It helps to hydrate you, filters out toxins, and gets your metabolism moving. Plus, when you do decide to eat breakfast, you’ll feel fuller of the water and require less food. Perfect for anyone trying to watch their weight.

Stretch 

Whether you do yoga, pilates or just morning stretches, it helps loosen your body and makes you more flexible. 

I hope this makes your mornings a little bit better!

Marist College student, Marketing Major Marketing/Advertising Director of HerCampus Marist, Treasurer of Marist Advertising Club Also in American Advertising Federation, Campus Ministry, and I write for the Odyssey Fun Fact I have sprained my right ankle 7 times.