andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make the Most of Your Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Exams and papers and projects, oh my! It hasn’t been easy, but guess what: you’ve survived finals week! Luckily, the worst is over and better times are coming: the dog days of summer are just ahead! While it’s fun to lounge around and catch up on re-runs of New Girl, passing the days that you worked so hard to earn simply watching season after season on Netflix can leave you feeling like you wasted your precious time off come the arrival of the new school year. You don’t have to feel that way, however! You can strike the perfect balance between R&R and fun while making the most of your summer!

Who said summer jobs have to be boring? Why not have a little fun while you’re making money? If you don’t already have one, try to apply to a job early on in the summer that sounds like something you would genuinely be interested in. Try inquiring in your favorite store in the mall or at the café in your town that you’re absolutely obsessed with. Working at a place that you enjoy is a fabulous way to re-stock your wallet with money after the expenses of the school year while also enjoying your time off. Another option is to try to find out if you can “shadow” a local professional in your field for a day or two. This not only will be an interesting experience but will also give you hands-on practice! Win-win!

If the travel bug bit you, get out of town by going on a road trip to a beach or camping spot or city within reasonable distance to where you live! If you road trip with some of your friends from home (which will be fun because you’ll get to catch up, relive old memories, and create new ones all simultaneously), the cost will be relatively low and you’re sure to have a fantastic time. Don’t want to go on an overnight trip? If any of your college friends live in driving distance, go visit one of them! Even better: bring one of your friends from home to meet one of your college friends! Everyone is sure to make memories. If you’re more of a city-dweller, take a trip to a nearby one…bonus points if you haven’t been before!

If you’re in the mood to make strides this summer, cross an item off your bucket list – start that Irish Step dance class you’ve been thinking about forever, or learn Italian for when you study abroad next semester. Cross an item off your bucket list. That way when you reflect on the summer you don’t feel like you’ve wasted any of your precious time.

Want to think more towards the future, start planning your dorm room for next year! Take a trip to the local craft store and start creating personalized pieces such as a pretty painted frame or a canvas. Express yourself and unwind!

The main goal of the summer is to enjoy yourself. You deserve it after putting in all those long hours studying! Have fun in the sun and don’t forget there’s only a certain number of days in the summertime so live them up the best that you can!

Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.