Five Jams You NEED To Hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Are your ears craving some new tunes to listen to? Tired of listening to the same seven songs on repeat? Well, if you are, there’s no need to worry; add these five songs to your playlist and you’l be jamming along to some amazing new songs right away!

1. “100 Letters,” Halsey, Hopeless Fountain Kingdom. Greek mythology references, an underlying Romeo & Juliet theme, and some real “earworm” lyrics…you can’t go wrong with Halsey’s “100 Letters.” Off of Halsey’s Hopeless Fountain Kingdom (which, by the way features incredible cover art), this song is lyrically genius. Check out the meaning behind the lyrics here
  2. “New Rules,” Dua Lipa, self titled album. This is the girl’s night out anthem that you didn’t know you needed! The meaning of the song is pretty straightforward: to keep yourself away from the guy that hurt you, and to remind yourself that you deserve better. Jam out to this one when dancing with your friends or while having a girl’s night in!
  3. “Wild Horses,” Birdy, Beautiful Lies. Released in 2016, this song never reached the level of acclaim that I personally believe that it deserves. Not only does Birdy have one of the most raw voices on the modern music scene, this song has a sorrowful vibe to it, while remaining hopeful; a delicate and difficult balance for an artist to strike and Birdy does it so well here. 
  4. “Meant to Be,” Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line, All Your Fault: Pt. 2. Admittedly, this is my favorite song off this list for the fact that the lyrics are simple and catchy, while remaining truthful and empowering. The lyrics that are repeated throughout the song are, “If it’s meant to be, it’ll be, it’ll be, baby just let it be.” Wise, huh? Give the music video a watch here; it’s a pretty interesting one! 
  5. “Only the Wild Ones,” Dispatch, America, Location 12. This song definitely has a different feel to it than the rest of the songs on this list…it feels like the musical version of summer, and who doesn’t need a little summer on a dreary November day?! Check out the acoustic version too…it’s authentic and stunning. 
Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.