Campus Celeb: Bekkah Colclasure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Name: Rebekkah Colclasure

Year: Sophomore

Major: Fashion Merchandising

Not only is this fabulous girl my roommate, but also our Campus Celeb this week! Bekkah was recently cast as the lead role of Bonnie in MCCTA’s production of “Bonnie and Clyde,” scored an amazing internship through the fashion program this summer, attended the Habitat for Humanity Collegiate Challenge trip to New Mexico last year, and will be Paris bound in the spring! Somewhere in between rehearsals, projects in the fashion lab, and various club meetings, I got the chance to ask Bekkah some questions about her experiences at Marist and some recent success that she has had!

HC: How do you feel about playing the role of Bonnie in the upcoming production of Bonnie and Clyde?

RC: Words cannot describe how thrilled I am to have been given the opportunity to play Bonnie. I saw the show when it was on Broadway and I remember telling my best friends that I would KILL to play a part like that…and sure enough, Marist College theatre has made all my dreams come true!

HC: Do you think that you and your character (Bonnie) are similar in any ways?

RC: I think I am actually a lot like the character because Bonnie is so strong willed and passionate about her dreams. She is determined to make something of herself and she refuses to let anyone or anything get in her way. Although MY dreams aren’t necessarily to be the next big star, her passion and ambition is something that I can easily relate to.

HC: How would you describe your overall experience in MCCTA so far?

RC: Positive is an understatement. I did theatre all throughout high school, and I actually almost gave it up when I came to Marist so I could focus more on fashion. However, I couldn’t help but audition for the fall show, And Then There Were None, and I got the amazing opportunity to play the lead female character, Vera Claythorne. I grew so much during that show alone, and it truly reminded me that I wouldn’t be the person I am today without being involved in theatre. So, needless to say, I didn’t give it up. In the spring, I got another phenomenal opportunity to play the lead female character in the show, Our Town, where I continued to grow not only as an actress, but as a person. I could go on forever about how MCCTA has changed me, and made me a better person… but I’ll just write a book one day and you can read about it there. Although, I will say this; MCCTA has given me confidence to pursue the world and all it has to offer, happiness that I can’t wait to share with everyone around me every day, and the greatest friendships and most meaningful memories that I have ever had in my entire life.

HC: Marist is known for it’s incredible fashion program. What are some of your greatest experiences so far?

RC: Yay fashion! I have had the best experience with the 
Marist Fashion Program as well. As a girl who was born and 
raised in a small town in Ohio, I was the underdog among 
my fellow fashionistas. I didn’t decide to pursue fashion 
until my senior year of high school, while here at Marist a
 lot of the girls have dreamt of being a part of the industry
 since they were kids! Despite this disadvantage, I have
 learned so much from my classes and have excelled ever
 since. Last year, I landed an assistant job with the program’s internship coordinator, the one and only Lydia Biskup (she’s kind of a big deal). With her help, I also received an incredible internship opportunity with a high-end jewelry company called PONO by Joan Goodman. I spent the entire summer living smack-dab in the middle of Manhattan where I met amazing people, made incredible connections, and learned so much about one of the things that I love most: fashion.

HC: Why did you decide to go on the Collegiate Challenge trip? What did you gain from the experience? How has it changed you?

RC: Ok. If you couldn’t tell already, I am
 extremely thankful and blessed to have
 been given so many amazing opportunities
 since having arrived at Marist. However, if I
 had to choose one single experience that I cherish the most I would have to say it was the Collegiate Challenge trip. I don’t really know how it happened. When I heard about the opportunity, I just sort of gravitated towards it. I never really did community service in high school, and I knew I wanted to do something big to make a difference while at Marist. So I did. And I traveled to New Mexico with 27 strangers to build an adobe brick house for a family in need. During this time, we truly became an amazing team and grew more proud every day to contribute to the life-changing organization that is Habitat for Humanity. After only one week, I came back with 27 new best friends, special (and hilarious) memories, and the greatest sense of accomplishment and appreciation that I have ever experienced. I would not have wanted to spend my spring break any other way.

HC: Marist is also known for its study abroad programs. What do you hope to gain from your experiences abroad in Paris next semester?

RC: The Marist Mod’Spe study abroad program provides an unparalleled experience to prepare fashion students for their future careers. Paris has a major influence on international fashion, and although New York is arguably the fashion epicenter of the world, it will be amazing to step out and get that foreign perspective. I plan not only to learn a lot (including how to speak French…haha), but also to travel all over Europe! I have never been out of the country before so I am very excited!!

HC: How do you manage all of these activities and your schoolwork?

RC: I don’t sleep. Haha just kidding, but it definitely takes some good time management skills! I’m always on some sort of schedule. There are a lot of times that it gets kind of crazy with how busy things get… and I have to focus and work super hard to do everything I want to do. But, in the end, it’s all worth it!

HC: Out of all of these incredible experiences, what has been your most rewarding experience at Marist so far?

RC: Why do you make me choose? I’ve got to go with the Collegiate Challenge trip. There has been nothing like my experience with Habitat for Humanity in that single week, and I’m not sure if I will experience anything like it again! All I know for sure is I’ll remember it for the rest of my life.