The Best Florence Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

I had the ultimate privilege of spending my first year of college abroad at Marist’s branch campus in Florence, Italy. It was a year filled with pizza, pasta, gelato, lattes, red wine, sunsets at Piazzale Michelangelo, daily pit stops in Conad, flights, and historic landmarks.

Contrary to what people believe about study abroad, the freshmen in Marist’s Freshman Florence Experience Program did focus on the study aspect in addition to the abroad aspect. The professors at Lorenzo de’Medici Institute (LdM) do indeed assign papers, quizzes, tests, and presentations. There are an abundance of cafes and libraries to do homework in, but these are my top six. I highly recommend spending quality time in them so you won’t feel guilty about Margarita Mondays at Tijuana’s or l’Margaritaio or Tuesdays at Bamboo or your flight to Paris next weekend!

Ditta Artigianale: Via dello Sprone, 5/R. Ditta has the best brunch options and two-euro lattes out there. There are three locations spread throughout Florence’s historic center. The original Ditta is located on Via dei Neri, 32/R. Although that one is the coziest, most intimate cafe of the three, it’s also the busiest and loudest. As an alternative, head across the Ponte Vecchio to Ditta Oltrarno for a more spacious setting. There’s seating upstairs, outside, at the bar, and in the main area. Decent wifi and you can stay all day long (as long as you keep buying coffee). Pay when you’re ‘finito!’

Sit’N’Breakfast: Via San Gallo, 21/R. I practically lived here since it was a three-minute walk from our housing building on Via San Gallo, and the wifi is excellent. A lot of locals hang out here, and the sandwiches (2-4 euros) and coffee are quite cheap compared to other places in Florence. There’s seating outside with a garden feel and plenty of space inside to work at a small table alone or at a larger one with friends. The workers here are very friendly. Practice your Italian with them! They’ll recognize you in the grocery store and say ‘Ciao’ too.

Café Oblate: Via dell’Oriuolo, 26. This is the best place to study and gaze at the Duomo. You’ll find small circular tables upstairs on the patio accompanied by bright yellow, red, and orange chairs. It’s a lively place and sometimes quite crowded––great for people watching––but it is possible to get work done. You can get coffee, pastries, and other drinks, but I wouldn’t rely on a full meal. Don’t be alarmed: young Italian students might ask you for a lighter to light their skinny, hand rolled cigarettes. Strike up a conversation with them if you’re feeling bold!

Le Murate Caffè: Piazza delle Murate. Le Murate is a hidden gem most American students don’t have the discipline to find. It’s a 20-minute walk from the city center, but it’s definitely worth it. This cafe used to be a prison, and the inside is very unique. There are tables outside too. Many Italian students flock here in addition to Italian professionals meeting up for coffee. I’m obsessed with the peach colored exterior of the building! Check out the live music on selected nights.

La Ménagère: Via de’Ginori, 8/R. This is a popular spot for tourists, Italians, and American study abroad students alike. The food is amazing, and the latte art is on point. If you want to come study in the aesthetically pleasing environment, do it before 11 AM (they open at 7:30). If you try and pull out a laptop in the afternoon when tables are full, chances are you’ll be asked to move downstairs to the dark basement. I recommend this place to study for morning people like me, but feel free to pop in for a coffee or lunch with friends whenever!

La Cite: Borgo S. Frediano, 20/R. La Cite, like Murate, is another less touristy spot. It’s across the river in the San Frediano neighborhood. Here you can listen to some coffeehouse jams and sit upstairs with a coffee for hours. The wifi is good here, and the vibes are certainly hipster!

And one final tip… BRING CASH. Most places will roll their eyes if you try to pay for a two-euro cappuccino with a debit card. The best ATM is next to La Feltrinelli near the Duomo and the Marist Italy office.

Emma LeMay is a sophomore at Marist College. She's a communication major who is double concentrating in advertising and public relations. When she's not studying at the library, playing on the lacrosse field, or daydreaming about spending her freshman year in Florence, Italy, she can be found binge watching "The Vampire Diaries", trying to find a European quality cappuccino, or looking at pictures of her King Charles cavalier spaniel mix, Kiara. Follow her blog www.ehl9626.wordpress.com to stay up to date!