9 Test Taking Hacks for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

1. Right before you go to sleep, glance at your notes. Studies show that if we look at something right before we go to sleep, our brain will continue to process it throughout the night. Therefore, this is an easy way to make sure you are processing Shakespeare instead of the season finale of “Gossip Girl.”

2. I know I may sound like a broken record of your mom or doctor but eat some brain food the morning of the test! I am not saying chug a glass of raw eggs, but a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana will do the trick!

3. After kick-starting your day with a power breakfast, kick-start your self-confidence with a killer outfit. In short, wear something cute. If you look good, you feel good. Putting yourself together the morning of will set a tone of positivity and success.

4. Come up with a quick mantra to say to yourself before you begin every exam. Something to get you centered and focused.

5. Right before you get your test, quickly move your eyes left to right five to eight times. It has been scientifically proven that doing this helps the chemicals in your brain warm up to thinking critically.

6. DO NOT chug a cup of coffee right before the exam. I am speaking from experience here…this will do nothing except make you super anxious and hyper. Taking an exam should be a mental marathon, not a physical sprint.

7. As ridiculous as it may sound, imagine you are a really smart character in a book or movie when taking your exam. Hermione Granger? Harriet the Spy? Take your pick.

8. Breathe.

9. Remember to keep things in perspective, it is just a test and it won’t bite ;).

Photo credit

GIFs credit: Giphy.com

Hi I'm Margie! I am a junior at Marist College, majoring in Public Relations with minors in English/Theater and Music! I like listening to music when I walk places because it makes me feel like I have my own theme song. I also own way too many coffee table books for someone without a coffee table. I love skiing, travel, yoga, SNL and my labrador/basset-hound/pitbull named Rebel.