7 Must See Trends From NYFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Another New York Fashion Week has come and gone, and although there was somewhat of a dark cloud over this season due to the unusual amount of designers who decided to move their shows to Paris, those that remained did not disappoint.

While some designers and labels ran their shows with fanfare and extravagance (Rihanna’s Fenty x Puma motocross show, and Alexander Wang’s street takeover in Brooklyn), there were still a few who favored more intimate settings (Ralph Lauren in his garage and Sies Marjan in Sander Lak’s atelier) as well as those that stuck with the tradition runway presentation.

New York Fashion Week’s Spring/Summer 2018 season was full of the usual breathtaking gowns, artful designs, and unexpected streetwear. But interspersed throughout the classic spring florals and shift dresses lurked some new trends that are sure to be popping up everywhere in the months to come.

1. Shoulder Ruffles

Ruffled shoulders were common across the runways this season, from Christian Siriano to Delpozo to Jonathan Simkhai.

2. Mid-Calf Dresses

Long hems seem to be the new norm. Brock Collection, Self-Portrait, and Red Valentino all utilized ankle-grazing, loose silhouettes in airy fabrics convey the easiness of the warmer months.

3. The “No-Pants” Look

Instead of short, mini hemlines, why not forgo pants altogether? Baja East, Tom Ford, and Prabal Gurung agree.

4. Low Slung Joggers and High-Cut Bodysuits

Fenty x Puma, Baja East, and Tom Ford all got in on this new streetwear trend. Low slung joggers or trousers layered over high cut bodysuits for a disco-era meets Baywatch aesthetic.

5. Reconstructed Shirting

The classic button down shirt has long been a staple in closets everywhere. They haven’t yet disappeared, but they have however been freshly deconstructed and redesigned courtesy of Victoria Beckham, Alexander Wang, and Monse.

6. Utility Strapping, Belts, and Cargo Pockets

From generous strapping and belting to a multitude of oversized pockets, the utilitarian style was in at Public School, Eckhaus Latta and Fenty x Puma.

7. Tied Waists

The shirt-tied-around-your-waist look has been updated by A Détacher, Alexander Wang, and Jason Wu. There’s no need for a second shirt, just add two extra sleeves instead.

All images from Vogue Runway (www.vogue.com/fashion-shows)

Makena is the Decor Section Editor, and former Style Section Editor and Editorial Intern at Her Campus. She is a senior at Marist College majoring in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Graphic Design. One day she hopes to put her writing skills to work at a magazine or women's publication.  Follow her on Instagram @makenagera and Twitter @makena_gera.