This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

1. 13th

Netflix rating: 4 ¾ out of 5 stars

My reaction to this film was just WOW. 13th is essentially an analysis on why black Americans are targeted as criminals more often than other races.  As someone who admittedly didn’t know much about the subject, this documentary opened my eyes with a detailed history, from slavery to recent police brutality cases, as to why black Americans are discriminated against in the criminal justice system. 

2. Fed Up

Netflix rating: 4 ¾ out of 5 stars

We are all aware that childhood obesity is increasing at an alarming rate. This film will help you understand why. Fed Up exposes “Big Sugar,” saying that the biggest cause of childhood obesity is due to processed foods, and the extreme amounts of sugar in them.

3. Forks Over Knives

Netflix rating: 4 ½ out of 5 stars

Keeping with the theme of the healthy eating, Forks over Knives is a documentary created by two scientists whose research found that processed foods and animal products are the leading cause of obesity, diabetes, and other life threatening health problems. I’m a big meat eater, but I’ll admit that Forks Over Knives opened my eyes to the benefits of becoming vegan.

4. Reincarnated

Netflix rating: 3 ¾ out of 5 stars

Remember hearing a few years back that Snoop Dogg changed his name to Snoop Lion? Turns out he made the name change after experiencing a spiritual awakening in Jamaica. Kind of a random topic, but I really enjoyed this documentary. It follows Snoop’s conversion from his classic hip hop style music to a more relaxed reggae influence. Definitely watch if you’re interested in music, cannabis and the Rastafarian culture.

5. Twinsters

Netflix rating: 4 ¾ out of 5 stars

The story in Twinsters is quite an interesting one. The film covers the life story of two identical twins who found each other after being separated since birth, having no knowledge of one another’s existence. The girls were from completely different countries, but, despite all odds, stumbled upon each other through YouTube and other social media.

6. Audrie & Daisy

Netflix rating: 4 ¾ out of 5 stars

A heart wrenching documentary about rape culture in the digital age. The film follows three high school rape cases, and how the girls were subjected to harassment, abuse, and cyberbullying. Definitely keep tissues nearby for this one.

Julia is a Public Relations and Advertising major studying at Marist College. She has three loves: writing, eating, and traveling. Her lifetime goal is to pursue a career in which she can fulfill all three of these passions.