5 Alternative Ways to Spend Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Valentine’s Day is not a holiday for everyone, whether you’re in a relationship or not, many people don’t see the point in celebrating Valentine’s Day. But these alternative ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day are for everyone – in a relationship, single, #foreveralone; everyone can get behind these Valentine’s Day celebrations.

1. Send Valentines to a Children’s Hospital

Children’s hospitals across the country are accepting Valentine’s Day cards to distribute to the children who have to spend their days in the hospital and not out having fun with their friends. Google “children’s hospitals near me” or look up a well-known hospital such as St. Jude’s and check the website for information or call the hospital directly and ask where to send the valentines. When writing the cards just remember not to include phrases such as “Get Well” or “Feel Better” – we want to make these kids happy, not remind them that they are sick.

2.  Share the Love

The day after Valentine’s Day all of the candy and goodies left in store gets discounted. If you’re like me, you take advantage of this to buy yourself some extra chocolates and candies. When you’re shopping for these sweet treats pick up a little extra candy and drop it off at the nearest homeless shelter or food pantry. Many children receive services from these places and a piece of candy or extra valentine will most definitely make their day and put a smile on their face, no matter the date.

3. Practice Some Self Love

Take a hot shower, put on a facemask, turn off the lights, and turn on some relaxing music. Use this day to remind yourself that amidst classes, homework, group projects, research papers, extra curriculars, job applications, interviews, and having a social life you need to make some time for yourself. Dedicate some time to relax and take a step back from everything else going on around you.

4. Write a Letter

Receiving a handwritten letter can make someone’s day. Send a letter to a parent, sibling, friend, even a professor who has been there for you. Let this person know how much they mean to you by sending them a thoughtful letter. I have a box of letters and cards from friends and family that I have received over the years that I take out and read when I’m feeling down and need a pick-me-up.

5. Be a Nice Person

Valentine’s Day might not be your favorite holiday, you might even hate it, but use the day to be a little nicer to those around you. We never know what other people are going through so sharing a smile and saying “hello” might be just what that person needs.

Paige Moran is a Senior at Marist College with a major in Secondary English Education, concentration in Literature, and minors in Psychology, and Global Studies. When Paige isn't proofreading all of her friend's papers you can find her petting any nearby dogs and puppies, reading, blasting good tunes, or adventuring with her friends and her camera.