14 of The Best Lyrics by The Genius That is Lorde

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Lorde is one of my all-time favorite artists, mainly due to her outstanding songwriting skills.  Her lyrical abilities are stunning, and mixed with a unique voice and unapologetic expressionism, Lorde is a true artist in every sense of the word.  Lorde’s latest album, Melodrama encompasses the feelings that many young adults have, but are often unable to express.  With profound lyrical maturity and wittiness, Lorde has managed to make music that many feel they can truly connect to.  Here are 14 of my personal favorite lyrics written by Lorde.

1) “I ride the subway, read the signs I let the seasons change my mind.  I love it here since I stopped needing you.”–Writer in The Dark

2) “And in my head, the visions never stop.  These ribbons wrap me up. But when I reach for you, there’s just a supercut.”–Supercut

3) “I light all the candles, got flowers for all my rooms.  I care for myself the way I used to care about you.”–Hard Feelings/Loveless

4) “I know that it’s exciting running through the night, but every perfect summer’s eating me alive, until you’re gone.”–Liability

5) We know that it’s over.  In the morning, you’ll be dancing with all the heartache, and the treason, the fantasies of leaving.  But we know that, when it’s over, in the morning, you’ll be dancing with us.”–Sober

6)But we’re the greatest, they’ll hang us in the Louvre.  Down the back, but who cares, still the Louvre“–The Louvre

7)All of the things we’re taking, ’cause we are young and we’re ashamed.  Send us to perfect places.  All of our heroes fading, now I can’t stand to be alone.  Let’s go to perfect places.”–Perfect Places

8) Let’s let things come out of the woodwork.  I’ll give you my best side, tell you all my best lies.  Yeah, awesome right?”–Homemade Dynamite

9)Well, summer slipped us underneath her tongue.  Our days and nights are perfumed with obsession.”–The Louvre

10) “Three years loved you every single day, made me weak, it was real for me, yup, real for me.”–Hard Feelings/Loveless

11) “We were wild and fluorescent, come home to my heart”–Supercut

12) “You asked if I was feeling it, I’m psycho high.  Know you won’t remember in the morning when I speak my mind.  Lights are on and they’ve gone home, but who am I?  Oh, how fast the evening passes, cleaning up the champagne glasses.”–Sober II (Melodrama)

13) “These are the games of the weekend.  We pretend that we just don’t care, but we care.”–Sober

14)I hate the headlines and the weather, I’m nineteen and I’m on fire.  But when we’re dancing I’m alright.  It’s just another graceless night”–Perfect Places

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.