10 Things I Have Noticed as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

1.There is hair EVERYWHERE.

Now I’m not about to give you a puberty talk, I’m here to talk about the fact that girls shed uncontrollably. The carpet, the shower, on your textbooks, in the microwave, literally my hair is attracted to everything I touch.

2. People shower at all times of the day.

4pm? Someone in the shower. 4am? Someone in the shower…#guilty

3. People do not know how to flush a toilet.

You are 18 years old, living on your own, old enough to vote…yet you are incapable of flushing a toilet. 

4. People go out every night of the week.

That’s right. The fact that it is a Tuesday night won’t stop people from dressing up and going out. As I am on my way to the library in sweats and Ugg slippers, it is a guarantee that I will pass a group of girls in heels and skirts.

5. Naps are your best friend.

They are reliant, helpful, and refreshing, all the qualities you would want in a best friend. I never appreciated sleep more than I have in the past couple of weeks. I simply cannot survive my day without a daily nap.

6. Fans are a necessity.

In a dorm with no air conditioning, the first couple of weeks of school will be like living in a sauna. There is no escape. Be prepared.

7. Dining hall food gets real old real fast.

How many hot dogs and fries could one girl have in a week!? Bring me back to Chipotle!

8. You wont make a best friend the first weeks or even first months.

You will not form a friendship with someone in two weeks like you have with someone from home that has formed in over 4 years. You just have to accept it and let things fall into place and know that you are not the only one who has not found their people yet.

9. The freshmen plague is real.

There is no question that you will get sick when you come to college. It will probably last for at least a month so be sure to stock up on cough drops and tissues and to apologize to your roommate for keeping them up with your coughing.

10. You will miss home.

Home cooked meals, your dog, your car, your friends, your town, the pizza from your favorite place, your brother, your room, and yes even your parents.