10 Things Every Oldest Sibling Understands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

1. You never get hand-me-downs 

Since you’re the oldest, your parents had to pick out clothes for you, and often did it based off of your style and size. However, your little siblings often got your hand me-downs; there are pictures out there of me and my brother when we were 4 wearing the same orange dinosaur shirt.

2. You are in the most photo albums 

When I was born, my parents took a million pictures of me. I think there are four photo albums in my house from 1997- and there 90% me. You’re the first kid, so they have to document everything. It means you have a million things to look back at- good memories, and embarrassing ones.

3. Your parents are friends with your friends’ parents because they met them first

When you were a kid, your mom had to make friends with other moms for you to have someone to play with; there were no other siblings running around the house yet, and there was only one kid to take care of. This often leads to family daytrips, vacations, playdates, dinners with multiple families. Many of my mom’s friends now are parents of my friends, just because I was there first.

4. You have the most responsibility 

Growing up, you had to be the responsible one- you had to make sure your brother did not eat dirt while playing outside, and you were the first one to be asked to do a chore. There was a lot of faith in you to lead by example.

5. You were a guinea pig child 

Every new parent often thinks “Am I doing (blank) right?” and the first child is the way to test that out. How to push them on a slide, when is too late to go to bed, how much ice cream is too much ice cream. I turned light orange once because my mom gave me too much carrot baby food. Parents are stricter because there are more cautious with their first child. You might have stayed up until 8 when you were 10, but you brother is 10 and staying up 9. What gives?

6. You got away with the most stuff 

Your parents were young and naive, and had not learned all of the typical lies children tell. You definitely got away with the most out of your siblings, and let’s hope you were able to impart some of your wisdom onto them.

7. You became a chauffer for your siblings

I got a car in high school basically so I could take myself home from activities and sports- but often, I would walk in the door after field hockey and hear “Amanda, can you drive Joey to basketball? I’m making dinner”. You were just another shuttle, and your siblings relished in you having to take them. But, then again, they much rather have you take them anyways, as the big sister would be more understanding of playing the music loud and talking about your friends.

8. You hand down all of your high school wisdom to your siblings

When my siblings started high school, I gave so much advice. What teachers to take, which honors classes were hardest, beware of seniors who tell you your class is on the third floor next to the pool, and how to properly check your phone in class without the teacher noticing (if you’re a BHS student, Bibeau is the easiest). You were given that hopefully by older friends, but no one was there to sit you down freshman year and tell you what not to take.

9. You relate to other oldest siblings 

When you meet someone who is also the oldest, an instant bond forms. It’s like you were meant to be friends.

10. You love your siblings and are very protective of them 

You would do anything for your siblings; getting back at a bully, taking care of them when their sick, or even helping them after they did something they should not have done. You love them, and while it can be difficult being the oldest, you love being the most in control and helping them.

Marist College student, Marketing Major Marketing/Advertising Director of HerCampus Marist, Treasurer of Marist Advertising Club Also in American Advertising Federation, Campus Ministry, and I write for the Odyssey Fun Fact I have sprained my right ankle 7 times.