lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Perks of Being a Single Lady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

No boyfriend? No problem.

Wipe away the running mascara off your face because being single is nothing to cry about. After my past relationship, I often found myself sobbing over the idea of being 4EVER ALONE, but as the months passed, I came to the realization that college relationships just come with stress, drama, and pimples. Who wants to deal with that?! Not this girl! Don’t get me wrong, candle-lit date nights are always enjoyable, but a G.N.O. (girl’s night out) tops them all. If you’re ever feeling down, here’s a list of reasons why being single is so dang awesome

1. You can go out whenever you want. Wherever you want. Make stupid decisions and laugh about it the next morning.
  2. You do not have to report to anyone every time you go somewhere. You’re free as a bird!
  3. You don’t have someone nagging at you for wearing revealing clothing to Canons or Fens. 
  4. You can talk to Billy sitting at the bar or Nick from Accounting class. Maybe even Thomas from down the hall. Oh, and that group of hot French boys that you always spot at Lockes. The options are endless…
  5. You can actually start saving money or put it towards your Louboutins’ fund. No more gift spending on anyone but yourself. 
  6. You don’t have to stress about bringing an impressive boyfriend to family gatherings where you know he’s gonna go through Aunt Linda’s make-it or break-it 21 Questions. 
  7. As goes for you. You don’t have to go out of your way to update your resume and shop for a Kate Middleton inspired wardrobe just to impress some boy’s family. 
  8. Mother doesn’t have to go through the birds and the bees talk every time you visit. The first 100 times were sufficient!
  9. You have more time to focus on your school work and internship applications. After all, you’re dropping 50k on an education not a birdbrained jock.
  10. You don’t have to fear that dad will hate the boy for having a sleeve of tattoos or a potty mouth. (Regardless, Dad hated him the minute he walked through the door!)
  11. You don’t have to incorporate a “bf” in all of your plans. Invite your girlfriends, your long-lost cousin, your neighbor, the pizza delivery boy.
  12. You have your whole life ahead of you to find your significant other. Don’t search. Don’t rush it. Enjoy your college years! 
  13. You don’t have to worry about a BF getting too close or touchy-feely with your girlfriends. There is a boundary line, and many boys don’t realize there will be repercussions if crossed. 
  14. You’ve got no one to impress but yourself. So doll yourself up if that makes you feel powerful  and fabulous. Only your opinion matters.
  15. No more excuses about traveling away from your lovey boy. You had a stressful semester, and that vacay getaway to the Bahamas keeps calling your name… 
  16. You get the whole bed to yourself! No more blanket hoggers or smelly breath in the morning. 
  17. You are an independent woman who don’t need no man. Being single teaches you to love solitude and do things autonomously. 
  18. You don’t have to even think about commitment or being serious with anyone. Live your life.
  19. No room for BS or heartbreak.
  20. You get to focus on yourself and grow as a person. Work on finding yourself, what you like and dislike. What you aspire to be in the future. Master that recipe from your favorite cooking show. Sign up for some salsa dancing lessons. Pickup that Sylvia Plath book that every girl in her 20’s should read. Do you.
Vanessa Sanchez is a Sophomore at Manhattan College, majoring in I/O Psychology, with a minor in Management. Devoted to helping and making others smile, she dreams of one day moving to the Upper East Side and working in the fashion industry. Aside from her passion for fashion, she is a Gossip Girl fanatic, avid food lover, Barça fan, and travel enthusiast. Follow her on Instagram: @vansanch