element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Finding Out Your Love Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Have you ever heard of a love language? Regardless of whether or not you’re in a relationship, it’s important to know your ‘love language’. That is, what kind of love you prefer to receive in a relationship from your significant other? There are five different languages of love: words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch. Through the process of a quiz, you can find out the biggest source of your affection towards the person you’re dating. Make it even more interesting by having your partner take the quiz and compare your answers afterwards! Which language do you think is your most prominent?

Words of Affirmation

If your highest-ranked language is words of affirmation, it means you enjoy hearing ‘I love you’ or meaningful things from the person you’re in a relationship with. Hearing these sweet things makes you cherish what your partner thinks of you and feels about you! You save their texts on your phone, you gush about the charming confessions of love you hear and a lack of communication is a deal breaker for you. If your partner has this language, a simple “I love you” would send their heart into a frenzy!

Acts of Service

Holding doors open, pulling a chair out, helping you study– these are the perfect examples of an acts of service language. If your partner is fluent in this language, they will always be appreciative of you reaching out to held them whether it be with homework or laundry or buying them dinner (although that last one leads into the next language).

Receiving Gifts

Those of us who get the receiving gifts language would LOVE to get puppies, what really sets those fluent in gifts and presents off are material things that represent a relationship. This doesn’t mean having hundreds of dollars blown on cute gifts but having physical things like cards or drawings are what will be kept and cherished throughout the entire relationship. If your partner love receiving gifts from you, no matter the quality, price or quantity, they might be fluent in this language.

Quality Time

If you’re never absent from your partner’s side, no wonder your language is quality time! It’s not like you can’t live without them, you’d just prefer not to! Cuddling, eating meals together and dates mean the most to you and allow you to make the best memories with the person you love the most!

Physical Touch

Perhaps the most misinterpreted language, physical touch doesn’t mean a specific sexual connotation but rather getting hugs and kisses and even holding hands with your partner! Feeling them next to you allows you to feel the most love. Don’t be surprised if a partner that is fluent in this language can’t stop wrapping their arms around you and hold you close; they just love having you near!

Class of 2019. Communication Major. Film Studies/Digital Media Art Minor. Maryland girl exploring NYC and writing all about it! Follow me on Instagram: @taylorbrethauer and Twitter: @itstaybytheway Stalk my photography blog here: throughtaylorsviewfinder.tumblr.com