5 Books for Spring Break Reading by Women Authors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

I’ve written so many posts about book recommendations, it’s kind of my thing at this point. I’ve always loved reading. I love the feeling of getting sucked into a plot and then looking up and realizing oh wait, I’m sitting in my dorm, not stuck on Mars with Mark Watney in ‘The Martian’. You deserve that too, reader! Spring break is coming up and these five books are some of my favorite to get lost in, all by magnificent women authors. Take advantage of the break and enjoy a nice, relaxing week! 

The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan This is one of my favorite books as of late, written by deceased author Marine Keegan. Her voice as an author is moving and compelling, which kept me entertained in her fictional short stories and from getting bored with the essays she wrote (not that they were boring anyways). A talented and wise voice that was taken from us too soon, Keegan’s book was a lucky glimpse of her writing skill. 

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling

It’s time to break out a classic again. Like J.K. Rowling has said, “Hogwarts will always welcome you home”. Even if you haven’t read the Harry Potter series, the first one is obviously the perfect to start with! Or maybe it’s been a while since you’ve read Harry Potter, so now it’s time to get nostalgic and start from the very beginning.

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai This is my absolute favorite nonfiction book I’ve ever read. Malala Yousafzai has been through so many things that we have never experienced: living in a war-stricken country and escaping the Taliban, yet eventually being shot in the face and going through extensive facial surgery. Yousafzai, with help from Christina Lamb, recounts these traumatic events that led her to be a role model for girls wanting education everywhere. She’s my hero, and this book will make her become your hero too. The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

This is a classic young adult novel in plot, which isn’t my normal book of choice. But if you’re a fan of wanderlust and music, this is the perfect book for you! It’s a simple and easy read, with a feel-good story about friendship and adventure. 

Where’d You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple

Perhaps the funniest novel I’ve ever read, I would highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in an exciting and extremely entertaining read. I finished this book in a week (how fitting, that’s the length of spring break!) and I immediately wanted to read it again. Cleverly told through emails, notes, and narratives from the point-of-view of Bernadette’s daughter, the mystery of where the flighty mother has gone will keep you wondering until the very last page. 

Class of 2019. Communication Major. Film Studies/Digital Media Art Minor. Maryland girl exploring NYC and writing all about it! Follow me on Instagram: @taylorbrethauer and Twitter: @itstaybytheway Stalk my photography blog here: throughtaylorsviewfinder.tumblr.com