10 Reasons Why College Is Just Like Kindergarten

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Welcome to college, also known as 13th grade! Better than a continuation of high school, it’s pretty much Kindergarten 2.0! Ask anyone and I guarantee they’ll agree. Here are 10 reasons why college is just like kindergarten.

1. Nap Time

There’s nothing a college student appreciates more than nap time. In Kindergarten, we would sleep for 12+ hours every single night, and still go to school and sleep. How hard was it to play with blocks and learn the alphabet all day? We really had to all lay down and collectively nap together? I think napping in college is one of the greatest things to ever grace the earth. Nothing’s better than sitting in a 9 a.m. class, thinking about how sweet your nap will be at the end of the class. 

2. Snack Time

Snack time in college is nothing like kindergarten. A plastic bag of dry cheerios and a juice box wont cut it for this college student. Snack time in college consists more of Lockes infamous chicken tenders before the pregame, and a whole box of wine (per two people) for the squad instead of juice. And maybe some cheese and crackers if you’re feeling classy that night.

3. Arts and Crafts

Arts and crafts in kindergarten included hand turkeys, finger painting and bracelet making. College takes it to a whole new level. Using your magic bullet to make margaritas, using your old clothes to make halloween costumes, and using your birth control box as a coin purse. RA’s of each floor also like to decorate not only the doors, but the entire hallways with decorations, creating a theme for the entire floor. Nothing says craft time like a big hedge hog sitting on your door with your name on it. The opportunities are endless!

4. Dress Up

A flowing dress and a tiara wont cut it for the Thursday night turn up at Manhattan college. Dress up in college for girls is something we all look forward to. From Thursday to Saturday, girls in college are given the chance to show off their cutest outfits, and are also given the opportunity to take 500 pictures and only upload the best one to Instagram. Dress up in college is about who can make the better wing with eyeliner, who has the longest eyelashes, or who’s foundation can stay on without Urban Decay’s face setting spray. 

5. Life Skills

In college you learn basic life skills, so much more useful than you would have ever learned in kindergarten. Who cares how to be polite and use manners directly. It’s all about being a good samaritans and holding a girls hair back while she throws up, even if she’s not a close friend of yours. Other life skills you learn in college include but are not limited to:

• Trying not to punch your roommate in the face when she’s being loud and you’re trying to sleep
  • How to sleep with the sun in your face because your roommate likes the blinds open
  • How to sleep with your upstairs neighbors doing jumping jacks with clogs on at 1 a.m.
  • How to stretch out a twenty when you have no money left for the month
  • How to get creative in the dining hall
  • How to make cake in a mug when you’re hungry
  • How to sleep for dinner when you’re poor

6. Both Straps on Backpacks 

Transitioning from kindergarten to any grade higher, the big backpack’s slowly disappeared. I remember entering Freshman year and begging my parents for a new purse to carry my books in. The only problem was, no books fit in the purse! Coming to college I learned quickly that everyone uses backpacks, and both of the straps. No matter if you have one class or five, you’ll probably need a backpack (or two). 

7. Story Time

There are two different types of story time in college. The first example would be a three hour class. Sitting in the three hour class turns from a lecture to story time quicker than you’d think. Either the teacher goes off on a tangent and starts talking about her personal life, or that one annoying student in your class interrupts and starts talking about her life. The other example of story time in college would be “the morning after”. The best part about going out is waking up the next morning and listening to everyone’s crazy stories, or even better, telling your own. There’s nothing I love more than when my friends come into my room early in the morning on Saturdays laughing hysterically about what they did the night before. 

8. You Need Your Parents

The day my parents dropped me off to kindergarten, I remember crying my eyes out every day for at least the first week. I didn’t think I would be able to survive less than five hours without my parents. Same for college! Just kidding. However, in college, I learned quickly that my parents are my biggest supporters and the best people around. 

9. You Cry

If you thought it was rough in kindergarten, wait until you reach college. I’ve been here for almost four months already and I can’t think of a day where I didn’t cry at least once. I’m totally kidding (not really). But seriously, sometimes you just have to let it all out. And by all of it, I mean all. of. it. I’m not afraid to admit that I ran to the bathroom after one of my first science tests and cried once. Real (wo)men cry. 

10. Boys Still Have Cooties

Need I say more? 

RikkiLynn is a New Jersey native who currently attends Manhattan College where she is majoring in Communications and English. She enjoys writing about all things pertaining to health, life, love, style, sex, and words. When she’s not writing, she enjoys drinking coffee, filmmaking, painting, photography, reading, running, traveling, and doing yoga. Stalk her at rikkilynn.com.