element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Everyone knows Tinder. There is the idea behind dating apps that it is only for hookups, short term relationships, and temporary friendships. What if that was not the case? What if people used dating apps for meaningful, lifelong friendships and relationships?

In any situation, whether it be dating, jobs or anything else, there are always those success stories. This article is no different. Some people use Tinder and other apps as a way to meet new people, not just for random hookups. This is the story of how Bree met her boyfriend.

Madison Freeman: How did you and your current boyfriend meet?

Bree Coffey: We met on Tinder. He messaged me a gif of otters holding paws and said “this could be us.”

MF: After your first date, how did you decide you wanted to go on another date with him?

BC: For our first date, he took me out for ice cream and we played Super Smash Brothers with some of his house mates. I knew I wanted to go on a second date with him because we really clicked the first time we hung out. He told me he felt the same chemistry and wanted to see me again soon. Our first date was on a Friday and our second date was on the following Monday.

MF: Do you think Tinder has bad reputation?

BC: I think Tinder has a bad rep because it is primarily used as a hookup app. At least that is the way a lot of people use it, but I see it as a way to meet people. Mitch and I never would have met one another if it weren’t for Tinder. Because so many people try to use it for instant sex, they forget that you are actually meeting other real-life humans who you just might find a connection with.

MF: Has there been any type of backlash or negative comments in regards to the fact that you met each other on Tinder?

BC: I don’t think there has been any backlash. Usually people just laugh when I say how we met.  I am definitely not embarrassed. It’s the 21st century, lots of people online date now. It’s the easiest way to meet people.  

MF: Do you think online dating/dating apps are a efficient way to meet a significant other?

BC: At our age, the hookup culture is very prominent. So I do not think Tinder is the best way to find a serious boyfriend, unless you get lucky like I did. I think dating apps/online dating can be successful if you specify that you are looking for something serious. Otherwise, seeking people outside of the early 20’s age range would increase the chance you find people willing to get serious and not a booty call at 3 a.m.

I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.