Say Goodbye to Net Neutrality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Are we really free while online? What if the big telecom companies like AT&T and Verizon could slow down or even block access to certain websites? Under the Obama administration, this was deemed illegal under net neutrality laws. However, the Federal Communications Commission will most likely vote in December to repeal all these rules.

According to F.C.C. chairman, Republican Ajit Pai, the vote would mean the government stays out of the way online. 

According to big Internet companies like FaceBook and Google, the Internet would actually not remain open for everyone, as website delivery may be hindered depending on your service provider.

Telecom companies are anti-government intervention online, in favor of an “open” internet. Internet companies are pro-government intervention online to prevent the telecom companies from having too much power and unfairly charging consumers.

Full information can be found here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/technology/fcc-net-neutrality.html?_r=0

(Don’t forget!! Loyola students get free access to The New York Times!!)

Why should we care? If this vote passes, which it’s predicted to, then consumers like us would have to trust our service providers who would no longer be regulated by the government. It is anti-consumer. Now that the vote is announced, big telecom and Internet companies are fighting and lobbying for their sides to the argument. It is important not only to know about what is going on in technology but also to have conversations like this. We need to decide if we want our Internet regulated by the government or controlled by conglomerates.

Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.