This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

If there is one thing that I have learned so far in college, room&board is hard. No matter how prepared one might think that they are, nothing is like the real deal of always being with someone in a room from morning to night, Monday to Friday. I am here to say, that you and your roommate are bound to clash, and that is okay! It’s a part of life and your rooming experience, but if you and your roommate can move past that, it will prove to be a true test of your relationship. You never forget your first roommate, they are a part of your college experience so take some of these tips and put them to use!

https://media.giphy.com/media/yrFrXTTTcHIY0/giphy.gif

1.   Communication!

I cannot stress this enough; the only way to maintain a relationship with a roommate is to actually talk to them. I know it sounds effortless, but it’s pretty difficult for some people. You see,the best way to get into an argument is by allowing things to build up. It’s alright to be upset about something that may have happened, between yesterday and but to be upset about something from a month ago is a little extreme. Your roommate might not even know it is bothering you, thus, causing it to continue and your anger to grow. The only way to change or solve any issues is to bring them up and talk it out. Who knows, you might bring up something that annoys you and your roommate might do the same to you.

https://media.giphy.com/media/jd4YLfyVaHqik/giphy.gif

2.    You and your roommate don’t have to be best friends.

This is a big misconception when coming to college because of every movie, ever, depicting the relationship between roommates as best friends making everyone feel as if it is something that needs to happen. But, in reality, it doesn’t. I took this hard in college, because my roommate and I were not besties and I felt as if ‘everyone’ around me and their roommates were. However, that is not true you are not alone, it is completely normal.

3.    Ground rules.

Make sure that you and your roommate establish ground rules for your shared spaces. I know it sounds silly and unnecessary, but what you may think is okay, your roommate might not. Each person has their own standards and ways, so discussing each is essential when living together.  

https://media.giphy.com/media/112Ti5aKwelYys/giphy.gif

4.    Be considerate.

No matter what it may be, think of your roommate too! Yes, you can do whatever you want in your room because it is just that, your room, but it is not only your room. It is your roommates too! The only way to have the right balance in any relationship is to have a harmony between what you want and what your roommate wants. Both perspectives need to be looked at and considered in any situation. Having someone only see their way is exceptionally frustrating so don’t do it! So, be mindful, and the same will hopefully be done to you too.

There are plenty of struggles and challenges in college, don’t let rooming be one of them! Knowing your roommate before hand or not doesn’t matter, there will be conflict due to being confined within a small space, be prepared for that. And lastly, put your best foot forward, no matter what the situation is, always try your best to make it work. I hope some of these tips help make the transition to college less stressful and intimidating while improving your experience. Best of luck!

Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.