Only the Best Ingredients for a Girls Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

As the weather gets cold, and finals stress begins to set in, gather your closest girl friends around and step up your cozy girls’ night in. But how can you channel your inner Ina Garten and have the perfect wine and cheese night on a broke college girl’s budget?

First, you must purchase only the finest pairings you can afford, so head on over to your local Target, and stock up on Barefoot wine (and whatever else happens to fly into your cart there too). While there are other wine options at Target, I advise against any purchases more expensive or higher quality— Barefoot will get you exactly where you’re looking to go tonight. After much needed retail therapy at Target, head onto your closest Aldi and beeline right to the dairy department. Stock up on the cheeses listed below to match your Barefoot purchases.

If you realize you are in no way a proper adult, and do not own a real wine opener, simply stab the cork with an opened pair of scissors, twist and pull. Be sure to leave your used wine corks scattered all over your desk, as well as your empty wine bottles stacked near the recycling bin for weeks after your party, just to remind you how much fun you had on your girl’s night in. Drink your wine out of mismatched coffee mugs from your hometown for an extra cozy flare this fall. Cut and arrange your cheese artfully onto a Styrofoam plate or paper towel— it’s not like your mom is trusting you with any of her real serving plates yet. Feel free to google how to arrange a proper cheese board, or follow our basic guideline listed below.

Pairings:

Pinot Grigio and Mozzarella

Described by Barefoot as a floral and citrus wine, this wine is said to pair best with Pizza and Pasta as well, so feel free to order delivery for your ladies at the end of the night.

Sauvignon Blanc and Goat Cheese

Described as having notes of melon, and peach. Feel free to serve with wedges of apple and fruit stolen from a dining hall.

Merlot and Monterey Jack

Barefoot describes this wine as being well known for its rich taste, and pairing well with chocolate as well as cheese, so treat your girls to some Pinterest mug cakes for dessert!

Pinot Noir and Brie

Serve your Pinot Noir with your Aldi brie and that box of Club Crackers your mom gave you when you moved in.

Malbec and Aged Cheddar

Malbec is said to have notes of vanilla and caramel. Pairs well with cheddar, meaning this wine goes great with Kraft macaroni and cheese.

Chardonnay and Gruyere

Set up the perfect girls’ night

Light some of your favorite fall candles that you’ve snuck into the dorm and get ready for a snuggly night with your best girls. Unfold your IKEA futon and get close enough to pretend you for sure have enough seating for everyone.

Or really, just get a box of the cheapest wine you can find and make some shredded cheese quesadillas in your dorm microwave. The important thing is make the time this fall to spend a cozy night decompressing with the women you love most.

Bonus:

Netflix movies, shows and documentaries perfect for night cuddling with your favorite ladies

Movies:

Chicago

Zodiac

Heathers

Shows:

The Great British Baking Show

Glow

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Documentaries:

Gaga: Five Foot Two

Amanda Knox

Planet Earth  

Note: all photos found at: https://www.barefootwine.com/our-wine

Sophomore at Loyola University Chicago
Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.