This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Ashley Kennedy, a junior at Loyola, is not only an activist, a feminist, and a student, but she is also co-president of Women In Leadership Loyola (WILL) on campus. Throughout her college career, she has built her foundation on being kind, inclusive, and understanding to ALL people. Meeting Ashley my freshman year was a breathe of fresh air. She was, and still is, bright, kind, professional, and extremely hardworking.

Meet Ashley Kennedy.

Madison Freeman: Define Feminism. To me feminism is the idea that all genders are equal on all fronts – socially, economically, and politically. My feminism is intersectional, so it makes space for all identities and empowers folks using an understanding of how the various identities we all hold interact with one another. My feminism is fluid, as I encounter and understand the different experiences and identities others have had and hold, I learn more about myself and the way I experience the world around me. Lastly, my feminism does its best to be inclusive of all identities and I do my best to make space for folks who have been marginalized by the feminist movement in the past, including women of color, trans women, non-binary individuals, queer women, and other communities who have been excluded. This means that I’ve learned to step back, there are so many folks who have been saying such important things but their narratives are marginalized. I still have so much work to do, though. Feminism, to me, may be unique to each individual as we all have different identities that intersect in a multitude of ways to shape our own experience in this world. I like the idea of fluid feminism that changes based on its context. My feminism may manifest itself differently (and be rooted in different ideologies and actions) than my queer, Black, Muslim, or Trans friends, and that is the beauty of it!

MF: How did you first get involved with WILL? I first got involved in WILL my first year of college. I didn’t really have a place that felt comfortable to me and I was struggling with a lot of things after coming to Loyola. I had really low self-confidence but seeing the positivity and safety in WILL made me feel really relaxed and welcomed. I became friends with a lot of folks in WILL and was really inspired by the leadership of the members – especially Shanzeh Daudi and Cristina Bedolla, who I have always been motivated by.

MF: What is your official title at WILL? I am currently the Co-President alongside Lluvia Garcia.

MF: How long have you been involved with WILL and how long have you held a title? I’ve been in WILL since my first year and have held a couple of leadership positions for about two years. I was first the Public Relations Chair, then Co-President.

MF: What have been your favorite events/memories while running WILL? There are a lot of really amazing memories I have, from events, to our retreat, hangout sessions, to just talks I’ve had with WILL members as we walk to class. But my favorite memories while holding this position have been hearing the stories from general body members during meetings. Many of our meetings are discussion based, surrounding some sort of discussion topic or pressing issue. The space can be very vulnerable, so it’s a beautiful thing when folks feel safe enough to share really personal things. I have learned so much about the individuals in WILL and I’m really grateful that they feel validated in the space. I think storytelling is also a wonderful way to build lasting connections. There have been many stories, anecdotes, and feelings that have been shared that have caused a really strong emotional reaction in the space and in my opinion, speaking from personal experience, the strength of the community often times empowers folks to share their own personal experiences regarding really sensitive subjects. I hope that moving forward, our community grows and we can continue to learn from one another.

MF: What do you believe is the purpose and goal of WILL as an organization? I think the purpose of WILL is to empower leaders for positive change. WILL is not gender exclusive and we welcome all individuals to analyze and respond to the various issues surrounding gender. My personal goal for WILL is for it to be an inclusive space for all folks on campus to come to and feel validated to be a leader not only within WILL, but in other spaces as well. I think there are a lot of goals folks have for WILL, which is a great thing!

MF: Do you think WILL has made an impact in the Loyola community, if so how? I’d like to think that WILL has impacted folks in a positive way, as a space to build community, empower themselves and others, and to learn about our intersectional identities. I know I’ve made a lot of lasting connections with a group of people who empower me to be my best self. I think on campus, WILL is definitely known as a community space! I think we have a long ways to go though, especially in regards to being known as an inclusive space. WILL has received lots of feedback on how to improve and we are constantly working to make sure we are accommodating everyone.

MF: Why have you decided to hand of your position at WILL to someone else? I think it’s uncomfortable when someone dominates a position of power and I really like the natural transition of leadership. It would have been strange for me to run again as Co-President, especially when there are folks with great ideas who will bring amazing things to the space. I’ve been in a position of leadership for a while and change is always welcomed in my world. We recently elected our leadership team for the spring semester and I’m incredibly excited to see all of the things everyone accomplishes! Leadership is a team effort and I love that collaboration is taken really seriously in WILL.

MF: Lastly, how has WILL impacted your life at Loyola and your life in general? Oh wow, this is gives me lots of feelings! WILL has changed my life. I have been so inspired, moved and changed by this space and the people in it. I came in knowing very little about feminism, empowerment, growth, and now I know I still have so much to learn, but I’ve been able to take away so much from the space. It’s amazing. So many people come to mind when I think about what I’ve gained from the space – all members of WILL who have introduced me to so many new concepts, shared moving stories, and inspired me to not just talk about feminism and equality, but to dig deeper and look at my privileges and how those intersect with my life and the community I am in, to lead confidently, and to never stop learning. I also think WILL has helped me become someone who is confident. I’ve always struggled with confidence issues, but everyone in WILL is so positive – on all fronts. I feel so validated in the space and I know that there are people there who will be there for me always. I know I have made lifelong friends in this space and I’m so grateful to have found it. My closest friends are the folks I get to see at meetings and events. It’s impacted my life at Loyola in many ways too, I have been able to become connected to a lot of people who have introduced me to other organizations, spaces of leadership, and professional opportunities. Moreover, I’ve developed a lot of great leadership skills that have empowered me at my workplaces and work within the greater Chicago area. WILL has definitely been the highlight of my experience at Loyola.

I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.