Gestures to Avoid in Other Cultures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

There are several habits and gestures that Americans do without thinking twice. When traveling to other countries, it is important to understand that the same gestures that are appropriate in America may not be appropriate there. Not only could certain gestures automatically label you as a tourist, but they could actually get you in trouble. I have made a list of the most common American habits that could get you in trouble overseas.

1. Thumbs Up

In America a thumbs up can mean a lot of things. The main connotation around the thumbs up in America is good. In other countries such as Russia, Greece, and the Middle East a thumbs up has the same meaning as the middle finger does in the states.

2.  Laughing

In parts of the world, such as Japan, laughing without covering your mouth can be extremely rude. Laughing while showing your teeth is deemed very impolite and can throw people off.

Laughing by LaurenDaveyx

3. Being Late

Being late in other countries can be considered extremely ill-mannered. Although it is considered rude when people show up late in America, it is usually understood. In places like Germany, it is looked down upon and could make the people you are meeting, feel as though you think your time is more valuable than theirs.

4. Using Your Left Hand

In cultures such as India, the left hand is looked upon as being very unclean. Using your left hand to accept things, eat, and a multitude of other things is considered filthy in places such as Africa, Sri Lanka, and India.

my left hand by Danny Ngan

5. Modifying Part of Your Meal

In countries that are very focused on and known for food, it is unheard of to alter your meal in any way. In countries such as Italy, France, and Spain asking for condiments or desiring a change in your meal is looked down upon.

6. Touching

People in America, especially certain areas in America are notorious for touching one another. Whether it be a friendly hug or a handshake, people in the U.S. are always touching. In other countries, such as China and Korea, touching can easily offend someone.

7. Greeting Someone With a Kiss

In parts of Europe and Cuba it is tradition to kiss someone on the cheek upon meeting. When friends meet it is likely that you will receive a kiss on the cheek and a hug. If you are not familiar with doing this it is easy for someone in the place to recognize that you are a tourist. Although it is not necessarily rude to not kiss someone on the cheek, it is a sure sign that you are a tourist or you do not like the person you are greeting.

Greeting at Broadway Market by Anthony White

8. Refusing Food

Going out of the country and trying different foods is always tricky. Although some people love food in different countries, there are some picky eaters that would rather stick to their Americanized food. In some countries, especially Lebanon it is very offensive to deny anything, especially food.

Although there are some customs that are considered rude in other countries, they are not necessarily considered rude in the U.S.A. When traveling to other places it is important to make yourself aware of customs and traditions.

Some ideas were taken from businessinsider.com and the huffington post

I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.