One Month After Those Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at London Met chapter.

So 2014 has arrived and so has the dull fact that, after the relaxing holidays, we are back to class and back to work!

Has everyone been keeping their resolutions?

Well, we will soon find out from our friends at university. Or, like some people, such as myself, did you not set any resolutions? If this is the case, let’s try to understand why.

In the past year, have you ever gone to classes (or work) 15 to 20 minutes late?

How’s that strict diet going, or in other words, how did that donut you just bought taste?

Have you snoozed your alarm more times than you can count?

How many times did you pull a sicky when all you wanted was more sleep?

What about the classic resolution of students, “I’ll study harder next year”?

How many of these resolutions can you relate to? If it’s a few or all of them, let me tell you something: It happens to everyone, so don’t beat yourself up.

We’ve all tried to stop being late, go on diets or any other resolution you can come up with. Kudos to you if you have stuck to some or if you’re still trying.

However, the truth is that people these days tend to not set any resolutions, as they know they won’t stick to them. It is just a trend that makes people feel good about themselves in the upcoming year. 

But if people really wanted to make a realistic change happen in their lives, they would not use New Year’s and its commercial purpose of becoming a “new me” to do it. They should instead focus on the goals they want to achieve, and not tell other people about them, until they are achieved. Otherwise, it turns more into a joke than a life. Here’s an example: 

Person 1: “So I see the diet went well?”

Person 2: “Haha … yeah I lasted two days, but then I saw I had a deadline in three days and thought ahh maybe next year, maybe never.”

I am a 3rd year journalism student at London Metropolitan University.
Hi!My name is Norresa Perucho and I am a 3rd year journalism student at London Metropolitan University, working part time as a receptionist at a health club in a 4* hotel in West London.I own my own blog known as rawpetiteness.wordpress.com and I am also a Campus Correspondent for U.S. based website known asHer Campus, in which I am the editor of the London Met page.My family are from The Philippines but I am a native English speaker which has helped me to further develop my passion in writing and journalism.I have journalism work experience at Gay Times, Women’s Health UK, Surrey Herald Newspapers and Fil-Event.com.I also have a 2 year experience as an event manager for a dance competition known as the, ‘FYF Dance Competition’ where I managed a group of volunteers, learnt about time management and the group work.I have also experience a security guard at the London Olympics 2012, Wimbledon site as an X-Ray Scanner, bag searcher and body searcher.I love going out to eat, shopping and watching films in the cinema. I also love summer beach holidays. I hate the cold, the rain and nearly all sorts of vegetables... well: onions, garlic, ginger, eww.  I also love the sound of my own voice!A selfie-fanatic, and busting dance moves in front of the mirror, I love to bring a smile to everyone’s faces.You’re most likely to find me stuffing my face with burgers and steaks!Contact me on: Norresaperucho@live.com & @rawpetiteness  HCXO