“Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History,” Women’s March Los Angeles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I was told to not attend the Women’s March at first, and so were several other strong women I know. The reason? Fear. Fear and mistrust of our country that they would unleash their wrath against women peacefully standing up for their rights.

So many stories left untold and voices left unheard because of the fear society has brought up our females with. We’ve been taught to be careful where we step because patriarchy has already taken that spot, and lower our voices so misogyny can speak their mind.

But “well behaved women seldom make history”, and I am beyond happy that 750,000 people including me went out to the Women’s March in LA to support the equality we believe in. Recorded one of the biggest peaceful demonstrations in America, this march showed the world that we aren’t going to be quiet anytime soon.

This was my first ever march, and at times I felt myself getting emotional at the amount of people I saw support feminism. Many families, transgender females, and men came out to stand in solidarity for the wave of the future, and show women of all races that what they say and do matters.

Here are few of my favorite poster signs:

“When they go low, we go high”

“Feminism is the radical notion that women are people”

“Mother nature hasn’t even shown you nasty yet”

“If you take away my birth control I’ll just make more feminists”

“My body my choice”

I was so overwhelmed by the love and support, and although I know we can and need to do better, it was a day that went down in herstory and I’m so glad to have been a part of it. So thanks to the 400,000 in New York, 250,000 in Chicago and D.C., 750,000 in my city of Los Angeles, and countless more worldwide that are contributing to our progressive future.

By: Anushka Tyagi

Her Campus LMU
A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.