stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Things to Know Before Going to SoulCycle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I’m a self-proclaimed SoulCycle addict. I try to go at least once a week and I always come out of class feeling so much better about myself and the world around me. I know it sounds crazy, trust me I was super cynical about it at first, too. However, I think everyone should try SoulCycle at least once and considering I’ve been dragging my friends to classes along with me, I’ve come up with a list of things all beginners should know before heading into the grapefruit-scented studio for the first time.

How much does it cost?

A regular class at SoulCycle costs $30, but after you purchase your first class, you get your second class free. Additionally, after the purchase of your first class you can purchase your first class series (3 classes) for $60, which works out to $20 a class and saves you $30.

Where should I sit?

I highly recommend booking a bike in the last two rows for your first time riding. The first row of bikes is referred to as “The Pack” and no matter how athletic you are, “The Pack” is simply on a different plane of existence. “The Pack” is made up of Soul regulars who know every move by heart and can do them in perfect form. It’s a lot less intimidating to sit towards the back and learn the choreography as you get a feel for SoulCycle.

What kind of classes are offered?

SOUL 101: This beginner class is occasionally offered, but all regular SoulCycle classes can be tailored to any fitness level and there have been beginners in almost every class I’ve ridden in.

SoulCycle: The classic “cardio party” is a 45 minutes long and combines dance moves, upper body workout with weights, and classic interval cycling set to upbeat music.

SoulSurvivor: A 60-minute version of the classic SoulCycle class.

Soul Challenge: A 90-minute version of the classic SoulCycle class.

Soul Warrior: This SoulCycle class gives participants their own chance to ride at the podium and lead the class.

Community Ride: Every Fall, SoulCycle hosts free classes given by future instructors who still need a little practice.

What should I wear?    

Wear comfortable exercise clothes! Preferably leggings to prevent any chafing and a tank top or sports bra because you definitely underestimate how sweaty you will get. I’ve had instructors who keep the studio at 90 degrees to ensure that you get the most out of your workout. If you have cycling shoes with SPDs or Look Delta cleats be sure to bring those as well. If not, don’t worry, you can rent shoes from the studio for $3. If you have long hair also be sure to put it in a bun instead of a ponytail to keep your hair from whipping you in your face during class.

How should I prepare for my first class?

Drink a lot of water and make sure to have a snack, like oatmeal or a banana, about 30 minutes before your class. Don’t forget to show up at least 15 minutes early!

How do I set up my bike?

Ask any member at the front desk once you arrive for help setting up your bike. Some general rules of thumb are seat aligned with your hipbone (while standing) and handlebars arm length and two fingers away from your seat.

How do I clip out?

Clipping out is probably the hardest part of the whole experience. The best advice I can give is to twist your ankle out away from the bike and don’t worry if you can’t, just un-velcro your shoes and leave them there 

Maya is an LA native studying political science at Loyola Marymount University. She loves dogs, iced coffee, and Dodger baseball.