This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

After spending hours on the applications and weeks waiting for that one email congratulating you on your acceptance it’s finally time to really starting planning your study abroad! However, when you start preparing you realize there is a lot more than you might have previously thought. Here are some emotions you may have experienced from your acceptance to finally getting on the plane.

1. Excitement

Yes! Finally being officially accepted to the study abroad program of your dreams after long days of waiting! In a way, it’s like being accepted into college all over again! Except you’re going to some foreign country that may speak a completely different language than you ,and that has an entirely different culture which brings me to the next emotion.

2. Worried

What exactly did I get myself into? I am going to a country that I have never been before, I don’t know the language, and WHAT IS THE METRIC SYSTEM? Will people even like me over there? Do they like Americans? How am I going to LIVE over there ALL BY MYSELF?

3. Distressed

How am I going to pay for it? Is it too late to go back? The Visa we need isn’t the credit card?

Where did I leave my passport? How do I convert money? What did I get myself into??

4. Relief

Once you calm down you realize that you can do this! There are people who move to entirely new countries every day with close to nothing and make lives for themselves ,and we have the amazing privilege to study abroad. There are so many resources to help you study abroad that is just a Google search away!

5. Content

Studying abroad is going to be the most life changing experience of you life! Sure it’s going to be pretty nerve-wrecking at times ,but overall it will probably be the time your life!

Loyola Marymount University'19 
A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.