A Sit Down With The Number One Mariah Carey Fan: Michael Muñoz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

This week, I sat down with Michael Muñoz, a Chicano Studies major and Screenwriting minor, and asked him to talk a little bit about his favorite person in the world, Mariah Carey.

Why do you love Mariah Carey so much?

The age-old question, *laughs*. Honestly, she is very talented. Not only does she sing (Britney hasn’t sang live since the Clinton Administration), she writes her own music (unlike Beyoncé or should I say Bey-on-her-way-to-jail-for-stealing-songwriting credits) and composes her own music. Also, the voice. Sure, it’s not as strong as it was back in the 90s, but neither was our economy! And we still deal with it! And it’s also very inspiring to see a woman of color succeeding through so many obstacles. All in all, I love her!

Do you have any social media dedicated to her?

Well, I do have my instagram (@hugefanofmariahcarey) where I sometimes take photos of me and Mariah Carey hanging out. A few weeks ago we went to the beach and it was really fun! I posted it on my Instagram, the readers should check it out. Besides Instagram, I do go on rants about her all the time on Facebook (I am majoring in Mariah Studies after all).

What are the top Mariah songs?

All of them of course! But, if I had to pick three: Fantasy, It’s Like That, and Fly Like a Bird. Those songs are such bangers and lift up my spirits at any time.

Why do you think people are so critical of her?

Honestly, I want to attribute that to the fact that she is an older woman. She has done so much for the industry, and has worked very hard to become successful. Her voice isn’t as strong as it used to be, so what? That New Years Eve performance was bad? Who cares, we all have our days. Another thing people are critical of are her diva antics, they’re just for show! She’s not like that in real life! It’s very disturbing to me that people tear down Mariah, and at one point, the general public did nothing but praise her.

A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.