diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Went to Disneyland for the First Time and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Also known as the happiest place on Earth, Disneyland has proven to be a very VERY popular location for people from all over. To many of my friend’s disbelief, however, I had never been to this magical land.  Even as a young kid, my parents never seemed to have an interest in taking me to Disney, so I really have never known what it’s all about. When my sorority made the announcement that we would all be going on a family trip to the land of a bazillion cartoon characters and princesses, I was both excited and completely unsure of what it would be like. Luckily for me, I had some incredible gal pals who showed me the ropes of what it truly means to visit Disney. My 12 straight hours spent there on a Saturday have taught me a few important tidbits about the park, as well as what and what not do while surrounded by thousands of people in mickey ears. For those of you like me, who have never been and want some helpful tips to have the best trip, listen up cause you’re in for a ride (not as fun a ride as space mountain though).

1.    Beware of Strollers

To all of you that follow me on Instagram (shameless plug: @sofiacaruccio), you would know I captioned one of my latest posts with this exact title simply because of how important of a PSA it is. Most people would assume with a place as popular as Disney, there are bound to be slow walkers or walkers who simply don’t know how to walk like a normal human being, and you would be correct! What I was not expecting however was the large number of families with at least 1 stroller (yes I saw a woman pushing two strollers through the mass of people). I tripped on so many of them, and I don’t want the same to happen to you, so please do yourself a favor a BEWARE!

2.    Dole whip, dole whip, dole whip!

Whenever I mentioned Disney to someone in the past, the first thing that would come up was the infamous “Dole Whip”. For those of you who don’t know what it is, it’s basically pineapple soft serve ice cream that will fill the cracks of your heart. Being lactose intolerant, it’s close to impossible to find creamy treats that won’t kill me, so I was beyond thrilled to hear that this yummy goodness is vegan! It’s one of those things at Disney that is talked about way too much, but it’s totally acceptable because that stuff is gooooooood.

3.    The Grand Finale

There’s this thing at Disneyland called Fantasmic and its this show of lights and water that is displayed on the big pond in the middle of the park. There are usually a few showings so that everyone has a chance to see it, and trust me; you will want to see it. This magical show features all the Disney princess, mickey and his whole gang, and even all the villains (which was pretty terrifying to be honest, but the feel good ending made up for it). Watching all the kids around me get so excited when seeing the main mouse himself made me feel so happy and made me really appreciate the simpler times of childhood. It’s one of those shows that you will walk away from feeling just really good, and I totally think its worst staying at the park until its dark for. Oh, also it’s free, so you kind of just have to go.

4.    Don’t be afraid to be a kid for a day

I think a lot of people my age think that enjoying things like Disney or cartoons is childish, but in my opinion being able to appreciate things that are not “typical 20 year old shenanigans” is actually pretty cool. If you’re at Disney, you might as well just live it up as much as you can and let your inner kid shine. Wear your ears, possibly crocs too if you’re into that, and eat all the sugary snacks that your mom would totally scold you for eating.

5.    Bring a tour guide

If I tried to go to Disneyland for the first time by myself, I would have ended up lost or stuck in a teacup, so I highly recommend you bring someone who knows where to go (also, what rides to go on). I was fortunate enough to be with a group of people who knew the ins and outs of the entire place, which made the whole trip very smooth. I remember I told my friend I wanted a soft mickey pretzel (because how could you not), and she knew, no joke, where the nearest pretzel cart was. So, bring people who know what they’re doing, or else you’ll end up like this guy.

Overall, my first Disney experience proved to be beyond magical. I know 100% I’ll be back and it may even be better because I know what to expect. I don’t know if there’s a name for someone in the Disney fan club, but I am definitely one of those. If you ever have the opportunity to spend the day, or even just a few hours at one of the Disney parks, I highly suggest you go. Yes, you will be exhausted by the end of the day, but the magical memories you create will last a lifetime.