How will Hear Her Harvard affect LMU?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Photo from www.thecrimson.com

With sorority recruitment just wrapping up, I’m sure it’s been a thought for many whether Greek Life is the place for you on campus. Greek life is a fantastic experience for many students here at LMU, however that doesn’t mean it is the right choice for everyone. The good news is, that whatever you choose to partake in while on the bluff, LMU leaves the decision up to you.

Following recent news from Harvard University, it has come into question whether these types of organizations are fair for students. On December 5, Harvard University imposed a policy penalizing students who choose to join unrecognized single-gender social organizations, such as fraternities and sororities. Harvard President Faust and Harvard Corporation Senior Fellow Lee claim this decision will “create a community where students have the fair opportunity to engage in curricular and extracurricular activities.”

Women at Harvard and all around the country have been reaching out by hashtagging #hearherharvard to explain why the experiences we have in all female organizations such as sororities can be incredibly important. While many negative stereotypes of Greek life come from a true history of sorority/fraternity problems, sorority life can be an empowering experience for many college women. Despite some flaws, many of these organizations can still be amazing moving forward.

Greek organizations are by no means perfect, but we can work to make them inclusive and diverse by implementing LMU’s core values into the recruitment process. Having a group of women you know are there for you and that will help you become a better version of yourself, is a wonderful feeling. Personally, being a member of a sorority has taught me to value who I am and enabled me to find my strengths, while also offering me the opportunity to help others also become the best version of themselves.

Whether or not you agree with Harvard University’s decision, it has created a valuable question that needs to be addressed. What place do single sex organizations have in the world moving forward? Do we leave this choice up to the individual, or should society as a whole decide whether it is right to keep running these types of organizations?