How to Restart your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

We’re officially into the second month of the year, which means it’s time to decide how you are going to act going forward this year. While New Years may be the typical time to set goals for the year, it’s easy to lose focus or contrastingly to realize goals are unrealistic or not working towards your dreams when you actually implement them. Take some time this week to consider whether you want to rewrite or reset your resolutions so you can make the next eleven months the best they can be. Here’s some tips to help you out:

Rethink Your Goals

Consider what the big picture things you are trying to accomplish this year are. It will be easier to keep motivated if your resolutions are focused instead of random. If you decided to start journaling, for example, why did you want to do this? Do you want to improve your writing, record memories or even improve your mental health? If you want to save money, are you saving for a vacation, paying for rent of a nice apartment or buying a big ticket item? Think of the big thing you want to accomplish and then choose a resolution.

Reword Your Resolutions

A well intentioned goa can be abandoned quicky if you aren’t specific about how you are going to reach it. Instead of saying you want to get fit, say you want to go to the gym twice a week. If you want to make new friends, make a plan to introduce yourself to someone new every week.

Pair Up

Find a friend with the same resolution as you, and decide to accomplish it together. Whether it’s because you are competitive or because the friends’ company makes your goal easier to stand, having someone on the path to success with you will make you much more likely to get there. Plus, succeeding in your goal will be more fun with a friend by your side.

Be Realistic

Dream big, but don’t let your dreams scare you away from trying. Big pans are easier to meet in littler steps. If you try to go from having McDonalds every day to eating Paleo, you might go into shock and quit. But, if you take steps every month that will get you closer, even if it takes more time than this year, you’ll be a lot closer than if you had just quit.

Remember, It’s Not too Late

If you didn’t set goals at New Years, you can still make some resolutions now. If you already gave up on your goals, it’s not too late to get back on track. Just remember what you are trying to accomplish and the work along the way won’t seem quite as daunting.