Her Campus LMU’s Advice for Incoming Lions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Hi LMU Class of 2022!

We are so excited for you to join us on the bluff in the fall. We know coming into college can be filled with a lot of mixed emotions, so to make your transition a little easier we compiled a list of advice we wish we had known before starting at LMU. From parties, to classes, to making the most of living in Los Angeles, we hope we have covered everything you want to know.

Classes

• 18 units are too many for your first semester.

• Don’t be afraid to talk to people in  your classes! People love to answer questions about themselves.

• Get to know your professors. Most of them are really friendly and you may need their help in the future.

• Office hours are always worth it!

• Don’t discount your core classes, I have learned some of the most life changing stuff in them.

Dorm Life

• You are sharing a space with another awesome person so be courteous and keep your side clean.

• Afternoons can be the best time to shower.

• Befriend people on your floor, everyone is looking to get to know people.

• Open communication between you and your roommate is key, be mature.

• Clean out your fridge. For real.

• Bring a fan!!!

• Your closet is probably not as big as you need it to be so bring extra storage for clothes.

• That mini vacuum your mom made you bring will actually come in handy.

• Leave your door open while you’re in your room to meet more people in your hall.

• Personalize your side of the room so it doesn’t feel like a sad generic dorm room.

Photo: @alisontaplin

Parties

• Befriend your Uber driver.

• When planning your outfit, don’t worry about being cold you’ll warm up once you get there.

• If you didn’t drink very much in high school, pace yourself when you get to college.

• Have a designated pair of shoes for going out. Preferably not white because they will get trashed.

• Look cute but also don’t try too hard.

• Don’t feel pressured to do anything you don’t want to.

• Go with a solid group of friends, it will make your experience 10x better.

Photo: @thefatjewish  

Roommates

• Be honest on your roommate survey. If you’re not clean, don’t pretend that you are.

• Be respectful of your roommates space.

• Random roommates can actually work out!

• If you are having issues with your roommate and they aren’t listening don’t be afraid to talk to your RA, it’s literally their job.

• Try to appreciate your roommate despite their flaws.

Photo: @alisontaplin

Making Friends

• Don’t be scared to talk to people in your classes or on your floor, everyone is in the same boat.

• That being said, if you find yourself in a group and its not working out, don’t be afraid to find a group that fits your vibe better.

• Find people who want to be involved in the same activities as you.

• Hangout in the halls of your building, its the best way to meet everyone.

• It’s not weird to ask people in your classes to hang out outside of class time.

• Try and make friends in different buildings too, that way you won’t always be pent up in your dorm.

Photo: @hercampuslmu via @jess.lee

Life on the Bluff

• Fallapalooza aka “LMU Coachella” is awesome so you will not want to miss that.

• Roski’s in UHall is the best place for lunch on campus.

• When you need a minute to clear your head or call your mom, the bluff is both beautiful and quiet, so find a spot an watch the sunset.

• The banana chocolate chip muffin at the coffee cart is the best — hands down.

• The grass around the Bird’s Nest is an amazing bluff spot to hammock or study.

• Go outside as much as you can, enjoy the beautiful LA weather.

• The area offices rent out hammocks which are the perfect way to chill on bluff.

Getting Involved

• Join Her Campus (unbiased opinion)

• Go to Clubfest and sign up for anything and everything that sounds cool to you.

• Search ‘lmu’ on instagram and follow all kinds of different clubs and accounts, we heard @hercampuslmu is a great one.

• Sign up for everything, go to their info meetings and narrow it down from there.

• Try something new.

• Be open-minded. You never know what you will like.

• Use LEO (LMU EXP Online), and don’t be afraid to reach out to a club you are interested in.

• There are so many opportunities, you’ll be able to find something for you.

LA Life

• LA is normally pretty warm so take advantage of the weather and hit the beach. Some of our favorites are Dockweiler, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Playa del Rey, and Zuma.

• Try a different restaurant every weekend.

• Each neighborhood of LA has something unique to offer, get out and explore them all.

• Make a bucket list with your friends so you will always have something to do.

• Learn the traffic patterns and how to avoid them.

• Runyon Canyon, Los Liones, and Griffith park are all amazing places to go hiking.

• Melrose is filled with beautiful murals and and cute walls to take pictures in front of.

Alison is a Senior Marketing major at Loyola Marymount University. She is also President of Her Campus at LMU and has been involved since her freshman year. She enjoys writing, running, going to the beach, and is always down for a cute brunch.