Healthy Options at Not-So Healthy Restaurants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Ahhhh the classic lady laughing at her salad. This could be you! Even if you don’t think there are healthy options around you, if you get creative, there can be some healthier alternatives for some not-so healthy meals. Before I get into the actual foods you can order, I wanna mention a few things –

• Counting calories is not as important as you think – Making sure you are eating whole nutritious foods that your body needs on a daily basis is a better way to monitor your food intake. Don’t try to restrict yourself to fit into the recommended 2000 calories. The amount of calories one needs all depends on the person, so cater to your own body, not the national average. Kim Lyons, former trainer of the The Biggest Loser says “I don’t just look at calories, but the balance between calories, fat, carbs, protein and sodium”. This is an important fact to analyze because a lot of people obsess over their calorie consumption, and although it is important to make sure you aren’t eating more than you actually need in a day, it’s more important to analyze the types of foods you are consuming.

• Vegans/Vegetarians have options too! – Pretty much all the meals I mention do have a meat product in them, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t plant based options too. As a base rule, just try to get some protein in where you can. This can be rice, beans, or even tofu/tempeh if the places you go offer these! Protein is essential in keeping you feeling satisfied, so even if it’s not a lot, getting some form of protein into your meal will help you in the long run.

• Eating healthy should be a lifestyle, not a diet – If you are trying to eat healthy for the sake of losing weight quick, it’s not gonna work. Eating healthy is something that you should be able to maintain for the rest of your life. Having a healthy lifestyle is all about balance, which means following (more or less) the 80/20 rule. This rule basically says that 80% of your diet should be healthy, nutritious foods that fuel your body, while the other 20% can be foods that aren’t as nutritious, and may be considered “naughty foods”. So, please allow yourself to enjoy food and look forward to eating the food you have in front of you, just make sure you have a balance between the types of foods you are consuming.

Our first contender: In-n-Out

For all you Californians’ who tend to rely on this popular west coast chain for your weekly or even daily pick me up, there are ways to still satisfy that craving without consuming excess ingredients that your body doesn’t really need. Instead of a normal burger n bun, if you ask for “protein style” you will get everything in a normal burger, but without the bun! Ask for no cheese and no extra sauces and you got yourself a healthy meal. The protein from the patty will you fill you up, while the veggies will keep you feeling fresh.

Next up: Subway

Being the nation wide chain that it is, Subway has made quite the impact on the food industry, the fast food industry. Although there are many ways to eat unhealthy at this food stop, there are also ways to make sure you are getting your daily veggies and protein in. At Subway you can choose from a variety of breads, proteins, veggies and sauces to make the perfect sandwich. When choosing bread, steer clear of white breads that hold no nutritional benefits, and instead, go for whole wheat or nine-grain bread. Load up your sammy with your choice of protein and then follow up with lots and lots of veggies. For a healthy fat, add some avocado (I know it costs extra, but c’mon it’s avocado). Healthy fats, like avocado, are great because they taste good, and they keep you satisfied for a long time.

Your favorite: Mickey D’s

Long and behold the fan fav: McDonalds. From their world famous fries to their irresistible nuggets, McDonald’s is great, yes, but it isn’t necessarily the best choice for nutritious foods. One choice that may be a better option is the Premium grilled chicken sandwich. With this sandwich, add extra lettuce, extra tomato and skip the sauce (sauces usually hide a ton of excess sugar and sodium). The sandwich will taste just as good and it will be a heck of a lot better for you too. If you’re still not full, try a side of fruit or nuts and of course always stick with good ol’ H20 to quench your thirst.

The College Kids Go-To: Chipotle

Chipotle has been around for a while, yet somehow it still seems to be the hottest place to stop for a bite. I think the appeal is the fact that you can watch your meal being made and you can control exactly what’s going into your food, which is a very healthy approach when picking out what to eat. And yes, yes, I know that photo is not a real chipotle bowl, but it’s got all the ingredients. Rice, beans, veggies and protein. And don’t forget the guac! The only downside to places like Chipotle is the serving size. It’s massive. So, if you can, try to eat half and save the rest for later. Not only will you get a second free meal, but you won’t feel as stuffed as Mexican food can sometimes make you feel.

The Best for Last: Chick Fil A

We all know that Chick Fil A is the place to be, not only for their excellent customer service but also for the fantastic food. Believe it or not, there are actually some healthy options for those trying to watch what they eat. One great choice is their superfood salad which has kale, nuts and dried fruit. Get this delicious side salad with a side of grilled nuggets and you’re looking at a meal that has a great amount of micronutrients and protein that will keep you satiated.

I hope some of these meals help you out when deciding what you are gonna eat next! And even if I didn’t mention your fav fast food place here, I’m almost certain your go to will carry similar items on their menu. Eating healthy should be fun and it should make you feel great, so don’t look at this as taking away the foods you crave, but rather as utilizing healthier alternatives that will make a difference in the way you feel afterwards. Here’s to happy and healthy snacking!