This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Burn your bras, but don’t tell mom. Crop top season is officially back! After months of hiding your abs in sweaters and heavy jackets, it’s time to allow some breathing room from the suffocation of excess fabric. The crop top can easily transition from day to night; class to date. Unlike any of those DIY crop top tutorials out there, it will go beyond a single snip.

In this case, you will be making your very own crop top out of scratch! Inspired by a Discount Universe sequin halter top and Pearl River x Opening Ceremony’s cherry blossom print fabric, this crop top is an original design. While it may sound difficult to make, you will make your grandma proud once you have it done!

WHAT YOU NEED:

1 Fray Sealant

1 yard of cherry blossom brocade fabric

1 Needle

2 Threads (preferably in the same color as the fabric and another one to contrast)

1 Roll of Dotted Pattern Paper

1 Measuring Tape

1 Sharpie

1 Tailor’s Chalk

1 Fabric Scissors

1 Seam Ripper

2 Strips of Denim

1 Zipper and 1 Box of pins

1. Measure yourself: take down every measurement from your bust, waist, shoulder, armscye, neck, etc. Then, divide your measurements by half. (In this case, I already had my own pre-drafted pattern from my grandmother, so I really didn’t use this step). Make sure that your friend/sister/brother/boyfriend/mom/dad is around to help you measure.

2. Roll out half a yard of pattern paper and draft a pattern. If you need some help with basic pattern drafting, check out this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z2hvYFkUF0. Since everyone has a different bra size, some darts might not be suited to those who are busty. If that’s the case, it’s best to make your own darting.

This is my own pattern and this type of darting makes your bust smaller.

1. Trace the pattern for the front and back with the chalk.

2. Cut.

3. Put the pieces together and sew it with a thread of a contrasting hue.

4. Sew the top with a thread that matches the fabric. You want to be a little more neater with this one since it will define the cohesion of the pieces.

5. Next, measure your bra strap. Draw the straps on any denim scraps and cut. With my case, I used the outseam scraps from my vintage Levi’s 501s that have been sitting in my crafting box for a long time.

6. Place the straps with a pin and sew.

Mapping out the denim straps.

1. Measure the zipper and make some adjustments before you cut.

2. Cut the zipper and sew.

3. Put some fray sealant on all edges.

Ta-dah! You finally made a new halter top by scratch!

Born in Indonesia and raised in Singapore, I am to enlighten the world one step at a time. With an endless ambition to expand and enrich the lives of young minds, I aim to achieve this by sharing my passions for fashion, music and pop culture. Follow me on Instagram @michyvari and @Miss_E_Phresh on Twitter!