A Day in the Life Of A Film Production Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

7:00am:

My alarm goes off and I grudgingly hit snooze twice before actually getting up and making my way down the hall to the bathroom. I brush my teeth, wash my face, and do a quick change before I head off to my 8 am class in University Hall. I never leave without a granola bar and filling up my hydroflask!

8:00-9:30am:

Yes, film majors have to take core classes too! I wake up throughout my rhetorical arts class and add to our discussion of social justice topics in our society. We typically discuss the news and revise papers or speeches we’ve been working on for the class.

10:00am:

BREAKFAST! I’m always starving after class, the Cliff Bar just doesn’t hold me over! By now I’ve walked from University Hall to The Lair to grab some avocado toast with some salt and pepper.

10:30-12:30pm:

I head back to my dorm room and instantly flop onto my bed, I’ve missed it so much from just a few hours of separation! I usually crawl into bed or sit at my desk and work on my assignments. On a normal day I am typically revising my original script, doing a television analysis paper, or some basic math homework (another core class).

1:00-2:30pm:

Next, I head over to the film building for my screenwriting class! My class only has 12 students along with our professor, providing a great ratio for such a creative and constructive class. We go around the table, each giving comments or feedback to each other’s script; my professor chimes in when necessary, and we are either sent back to the drawing board or are sent off to make even more revisions.

2:30-3:30pm:

LUNCH TIME! I’m starving again, so I head over to The Lair for another meal! If I need something quick, I’ll grab a coffee and muffin from the student-run coffee shop, The Den, and start to work on my revisions for my next class!

4:00-7:00pm:

This class is long, but super interesting! We study the history of television and how it came to be such a unique platform for diverse entertainment. My professor is amazing, as he truly is a walking encyclopedia of all things related to the film industry! He usually lectures for the first half of the class and then we watch parts of a film or a television episode for the remainder of the class.

7:00-8:00pm:

DINNERTIME! Yes, I’m hungry again! The Lair is packed at this time, but I reluctantly stand in the long lines to get some dinner. I bring my dinner back to my dorm room and chat with my friends, catching up with them about our day!

8:00-9:00pm:

Now I’m off to a production meeting! I have a production course once a week on Monday nights for three hours, which is all film time, therefore we must meet outside of class to organize scripts, rehearse actors, gather props, and more pre-production activities! This class is the most fun, and I have gotten to know my 12 peers in the class extremely well!

9:00-11:00pm:

Now it’s relaxation time! Hopefully at this point I have finished all of my pending assignments due the next day, so I rinse off, put on some comfy pajamas and pop a movie on my laptop! I am constantly watching movies and television shows and am always searching for my next great series binge!

That my day in the life as a film production major! I love being at LMU and I feel completely blessed to have a course load that is so interesting and fruitful to my creative thoughts! GOOOO LIONSSSS!!