Campus Celebrity & ASLMU Candidate: Hayden Tanabe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Hayden Tanabe is someone that you need to get to know if you don’t already. Not only is Hayden arguably one of the most involved and friendliest at LMU, but he is also running for ASLMU president for the 2017-2018 academic year. Hayden, a junior Business Management major, has held a leadership position within RHA since his first semester at LMU, and now plans to use his experience in this role as ASLMU president if elected. Demonstrating exemplary leadership skills, involvement, and school spirit, Hayden is the definition of a true lion. His heart beats crimson and blue.

(Check out their campaign page here: https://www.facebook.com/HaydenTanabeMaraLey17/)

Why are you running for ASLMU president?:

I am running for ASLMU President so I can continue the work that I have been doing these past two years as RHA President. My leadership journey started at the very beginning of my freshman year when I was elected as the President of the Del Rey South RHA Hall Council. I would have never imagined that I would have been the first sophomore ever to be elected RHA president at LMU, let alone elected to two consecutive terms. Running for ASLMU President is something that I have been passionate about since my first day here on the bluff and am SUPER excited for the opportunity!

What else are you involved in at LMU?

I am a member of the MAGIS Service Organization, Delta Sigma Pi Professional Business Fraternity, the ACE Program, and I also am an O’Leader during the summer months! On the side I am also an aspiring LMU Bookstore Model.

If elected, what do you wish to accomplish?

I remember talking to Mara Ley (Vice Presidential Candidate) about a concept that I thought of toward the end of my sophomore year that would involve the coming together of our community. We titled our platform “Piecing It Together” to demonstrate how every person and organization is such a unique piece in the whole puzzle that is LMU. We plan on doing this through our themed four point platform:

1. We intend on bringing students and departments closer together than ever before to help spark the changes that students wish to see on campus. We have built these meaningful departmental relationships from previous leadership experiences. Additionally, we want all student organizations to have more access and knowledge of resources offered to them.

2. To establish the framework, we plan on having bi-weekly town hall meetings that will allow for LMU students of all groups, backgrounds, and perspectives to come and address the current climate of the community so that we can make it as inclusive as possible. Additionally, because Mara is so environmentally driven, sustainability would also a large priority of ours next year.

3. To connect the pieces, we are looking to orchestrate more joint programming so that more student groups are able to showcase what they stand for and take pride in their piece. Additionally, we are seeking to integrate the Service Organization and Greek Life communities through an incentivized program of attending each other’s events.

4. As a result of the above three points, it is our hope that LMU students develop more pride in being a Lion. With a greater sense of community on campus, it is hoped that school spirit will be elevated to new heights. This will translate to increased support of LMU’s athletic teams and campus events all around.

A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.