Bruno Mars Won Every Grammy Award He Was Nominated For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Bruno Mars was seven for seven at the Grammys, winning all of the awards he was nominated for, including album of the year, record of the year, song of the year, R&B performance, R&B song, R&B album and Engineered Album (Non-Classical.) He beat out several other top nominees, including Jay-Z and Kendrick Lamar, who came into the evening with eight and seven nominations. During his acceptance speech he acknowledged his nominees crediting them for pushing him, before saying, “You guys are the other reason why I’m in the studio pulling my hair out,” he said. “Thank you guys for blessing us with your music.” Kendrick Lamar was the night’s second biggest winner, taking home four Grammy Awards for best rap album, best rap song, best rap performance and best rap/sung collaboration. Chris Stapleton dominated the country categories collecting three awards, including country album. Ed Sheeran, who was absent from the show, earned two wins for best pop vocal album for “Best Pop Vocal Album” and best pop solo performance for “Shape of You.” Jay-Z, who received the most nominations of the night, left empty-handed. Over the course of his career he has accumulated 74 nominations and 21 wins. Despite visible nods to the Time’s Up Movement with celebrities donning flowers, only one woman, Alessia Cara, won a main award at the Grammys—even in the best pop song category, which had four out of five female nominees.

An aspiring journalis majoring in English and Journalism at Loyola Marymount University.