11 Things I Learned My Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

1. It’s ok to feel lonely sometimes, even in second semester.

a. Especially if you are shy and it feels like everyone already has their group of friends. Don’t be afraid to join a new club (like Her Campus!) and get yourself out there.

2. Your grades will probably be lower than you would like.

a. College is harder than high school, and you will have to work harder.

3. Your friends will change, and that’s ok. Don’t take it personally.

a. Don’t stay in a bad friendship just because you are scared of not having any friends in the end. Or the other way around. Friends that leave you out weren’t good to begin with.

4. The friends that stay with you will be the ones you have for life

a. That’s when you know you’ve found your true college friends, like the ones you miss from home.

5. It’s ok not to know everything.

a. You aren’t expected to know everything the minute you step on campus. You will get the hang of registration, and will eventually know every building on campus. In the meantime, don’t be afraid to ask for help.

6. Sorority rush isn’t as big of a deal as you might think.

a. It seems like a big deal now, but within a few weeks no one really cares if you are in a sorority or not, and you can always try again next year. It’s definitely worth trying.

7. You will probably bring stuff you will never use.

a. And you will probably forget something important.

8. Take advantage of all the food options or else it will get old.

a. Switch up the stations you visit in the Lair so you don’t fall in a rut of stir-fry.

9. There is a lot to explore off campus, but enjoy on campus activities, too

a. Especially during first semester, there will be events on campus all the time. These are great opportunities to spend time around campus, getting to know new people, and score some free food and LMU gear.

10. Wear whatever you want.

a. College is a great time to switch up your style and try something new.

11. It’s ok to not get along with your roommate.

a. Whether it was rough from the beginning or you grew apart later, you’ll find friends other places and won’t end up spending that much time in your room anyway.

Alison is a Senior Marketing major at Loyola Marymount University. She is also President of Her Campus at LMU and has been involved since her freshman year. She enjoys writing, running, going to the beach, and is always down for a cute brunch.