From Tired To Fab On Your Morning Commute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Let’s face it: it’s Monday morning 7 am, and you have to be in your office in an hour. Who has time to put on makeup when you have to make sure your outfit is on fleek, and you don’t have any eye boogers poking out at you as you stare yourself down in the mirror? Regardless of how crazy my mornings might be, I still somehow express my love for makeup and what it does for my face. I just do it while I’m on the train. I know it sounds crazy, especially when New York City trains are super congested in the mornings, but if you manage to grab a seat, it’s definitely possible.

First, if you anticipate being in a rush when you have an early morning, it is always good to prepare the day before. This includes your complete #OOTD, your handbag essentials, & your cosmetic bag essentials. The contents you need for your cosmetic bag varies based on your expertise. I always carry a travel size mascara, liquid eye liner, brow gel, a travel size round brush (for blush or bronzer), and blush. These products, of course, are interchangeable. For instance, if you are the kind of girl that doesn’t have her wing down pat, I would negate the liquid liner for your favorite everyday eye shadow. Same goes for face products. There are many makeup lovers who wouldn’t part sparingly without highlight, some blush. My advice? Pick one. You don’t want a heavy over packed cosmetic bag. That becomes annoying. Once you got this figured out, you’re all set and ready to get some beauty sleep, or whatever you have to do. ;)

Envision this: I’m on the train and feel a bit tired, but looking like a zombie is never usually a part of my agenda. First thing’s first, I take out the most important product I need on my face, eyeliner. I quickly draw my wing, on each eye, and move on to the next task. For those of you who struggle with winged liner, I suggest creating your wing at the corner of your eye first (draw a line on an angle), trace the outline of your eyelid, then connect the two lines. Next, I bring out my mascara. Mascara can do wonders for a face, no matter the function. I usually go for volume, and so I swear by Too Faced’s “Better Than Sex.” A quick swipe on the bottom and top lashes is all you need. If you mess up, it’s ok. Allow the mascara to dry, then when you’re finished just flick it right off! Next, I use my all-time favorite blush MAC’s  “Warm Soul.” I love this blush because it’s a blush and highlighter in one, so I don’t have to worry about packing a highlighter. I apply Warm Soul with my travel size brush and move on to the last step. Finally, two minutes later, I take out my favorite everyday lippie, Kat Von D’s Lolita II.

And there you have it, I look slightly awake and ready to tackle the day just after my quick makeup on the train routine. For days where I look extra tired, I add my glasses to cover up those dark circles. You can personalize this technique to your needs, and I promise you it’ll work out in the end. Congratulations, you’ve achieved FAB status in just five minutes!

Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.