Is It The End Of The World If I Walk Out of My Home Without Makeup Tomorrow Morning?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Can we just all take a step back for one hot second and notice how amazing the beauty industry and community has grown over the years? With all the beauty bloggers that are booming all around the world, beauty companies like Tarte and Huda Beauty have been able to combine the exposure of their products with amazing talents. Needless to say, beauty lovers, myself included, are constantly in awe of flawlessness and skills we see every day on social media platforms.

Being blessed with genetics and perhaps the tropical conditions I grew up in, my skin has always been smooth and clear. Now living in Manhattan, my face started to act up in ways I have never encountered before and it’s an understatement to say that it is freaking me out. But even when I was living in Bangkok before, I barely ever left the house without makeup on my face, be it soft and natural looks or full on glam for special occasions. Being in New York, my roommate said to me that even with all the new flaws I have dubbed for myself, I would still look perfectly fine, even attractive, to head to class without makeup. Until this day, I still sometimes feel truly self-conscious when I leave the house without makeup, but at the same time, I have outgrown my woes of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I still get freaked out by textures and acne despite having no real reason to be so. In fact, it is perfectly normal for the majority – so despite all the glitz and glam of boys and girls slaying their way through life, this should be a reminder to you all that it is not a fault if your skin is not what you think is perfect. Insecurities aside, many people like myself, will always go back to celebrities and influencers who still seem amazing without their makeup. This is an entirely different story and again, this can derive from their genetics and most importantly, their skincare and inner beauty regimes. If you guys read my previous article about how to take care of yourself, I do believe it begins on the inside.

I find myself walking out of the house without makeup now from time to time, especially on days where I do not have any appointments or important places to go. In some ways, allowing my skin to breathe is another form of skincare that also soothes my mental mind; showing my real skin allows me to see its changes and transformation. It has certainly helped my attempt at a healthy diet of drinking lots of water and eating fresh and unprocessed foods that are loaded with nutrition for my body. So, I encourage those of you who are worrying yourselves about your bare face to simply let go and discover how liberating it might be. Not only will you save time for extra sleep in the mornings, but your face may just get the break that it needs!

Beauty & skin care enthusiast, and training MUA on the side. From Bangkok, Thailand and based in Manhattan, New York. I am an international globetrotter with a profound passion for gastronomy and the film industry. Born in Thailand, grew up in Belgium, I have an immense curiosity for learning different languages.  Please don't be shy and find me on my social media platforms at @graceactually and don't forget to visit my beauty channel on YouTube!
Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.