Sorority Spotlight ’16-’17: Kappa Delta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

1.What makes your chapter special?

Our sisters are very diverse in backgrounds and interests, but we are all bonded under the principle of building confidence in ourselves and one another. Confidence is a core value of Kappa Delta and our chapter embodies this every day, giving our sisters the support to truly be themselves. From eating dinner all together very night to always having a gym, study, or impromptu dance party buddy, Kappa Deltas are always there for one another.

2.What is your favorite memory as a house?

Our favorite memory would have to be from our Parent’s Weekend tailgate this year. It was like a potluck and our chef, Kate, cooked up lots of burgers and hot dogs. Meeting everyone’s families, showing our Lehigh spirit, and watching our parents laugh and bond with each other was such a great time. Our wonderful President and VP-Public Relation sent our cards to our all of our families afterwards thanking them for coming, which of course they loved!

3.What is your house’s favorite meal that your chef makes?

Our chef, Chef Kate, is absolutely amazing and it is so hard to pick just one favorite meal, but we love pasta night where she makes an assortment of spaghetti, stuffed shells, tortellini and various sauces. Also, the baked potato soup is to die for!

4.What is your chapter’s philanthropy? What are your biggest events on campus?

Each year, we support Prevent Child Abuse America (which was founded by a KD!) and the local beneficiary Project Child through Shamrock n’ Roll, which is a benefit concert and silent auction. We also have several events throughout the year with Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. 

5. What is your house’s GPA?

Our overall chapter GPA is a 3.32.

6.What is your house’s favorite tradition?

Right before Pacing Break every year, our chef cooks a special Thanksgiving dinner and our whole dining room is beautifully decorated. Everyone in the chapter comes up to the house and has a final dinner together before leaving for break, and we all reflect on the positives of the semester so far and how thankful we are for our sisters. It is so fun and a beautiful moment when we are all together, eating great food with great people. Also, our annual White Elephant Gift Exchange sisterhood is something we look forward to every year before winter break. 

7. How do members deal with the financial commitment of being a part of Greek Life?

We work with our members through financial support and payment plans in order to make the financial commitment of being in a sorority as easy as possible on our members. Our Vice President-Finance is available to talk to and work with any members about the concerns they may have.  

8. What is the most important thing you would want a PNM to know before going through recruitment?

Be confident and be yourself! If you go into recruitment with an open mind and confidence in yourself, you will end up in the house that’s right for you, one where you are genuinely accepted and feel at home.

Jazmine is a senior at Lehigh University majoring in Biology and minoring in Environmental Science. She can usually be found balancing her time between binge-watching Netflix, figuring out which new plant/succulent to buy, reading any article related to the New England Patriots, or eating avocados & cheese (not always together). She's basically just a Boston girl who sometimes like plants, food, and football more than people. Follow her on Instagram (@pizazof_jaz) or Twitter (@jaazmaniandevil).