MGC Sorority Spotlight: Sigma Gamma Rho

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

How would you describe the typical Sigma Gamma Rho woman?

A Sigma woman is one that is dedicated to her community. Whether it be her campus community or home community, a Sigma woman knows that it is her duty to identify needs and do her best to meet them. Being aware of social issues, particularly those prominent within African-American communities, she strives to bring awareness to a broader audience. She emphasizes the importance of education and scholarship in today’s youth is key to greater progress in the world. At Lehigh, she is involved in many clubs, activities and councils that push for social change. The Sigma woman is a woman of excellence.

What is your best memory as a house?

Our best memory was having a successful Sigma week. This was a week in which we hosted an event every single day of the week. This was our first week long of events and we were glad to have a great turn out from the campus community. While planning all of these events we were able to bond as sisters and reflect on the core values of our organization. Another great memory that we’ve had is hosting a makeup party, this was a fun night, where we got to relax and bond as sisters over some pizza!

How big are your PC’s usually?

Because our organization is relatively new to campus, we started out with 5 chartering members in the Spring 2015 semester. It is not unusual for organizations similar to ours to have smaller PC’s, in fact, our organization had 7 original founders, Mary Lou Allison Gardener Little, Dorothy Hanely Whiteside, Vivian Irene White Marbury, Nannie Mae Gahn Johnson, Hattie Mae Annette Dulin Redford, Bessie Mae Downey Rhodes Martin, and Cubena McClure.

What are your favorite Sigma Gamma Rho traditions?

A few of our favorite traditions are singing our sorority hymn after each meeting and conference, as well as stepping and strolling, just as our founders did. Being new to Lehigh, we hope to create our own new traditions on campus as well!

How is your chapter different from the other MGC sororities on campus?

Our chapter is different from the other MGC sororities on campus because of our emphasis on community service. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. has made it a hallmark to always strive to enhance the quality of life in the community through public service, leadership development, and education of youth. Our sorority’s motto is, “Greater service, Greater progress.”

How is your chapter different from the Panhellenic sororities on campus?

Our chapter is different from Panhellenic sororities on campus because we were founded as being a historically African American sorority. This is an important part of our history because the sorority was founded during a time when the Klu Klux Klan was rampant, especially within the Mid-West. Although that is how we were founded, we pride ourselves to being open to all races, we have chapters in Africa, Korea, Canada, Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the United States. Our organization is also unique because we participate in stepping and strolling competitions.

What is your philanthropy? What are some events that you do to raise money & awareness for your philanthropy?

Our sorority has several different philanthropies and national programs which include; Project Wee Savers, Operation Big Book Bag, Mwanamugimu Essay Contest, Hattie McDaniel Cancer Awareness & Health Program, ACT Against AIDS, and Project Reassurance just to name a few. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. also supports philanthropies such as March of Dimes, St. Jude Research Hospital, and USA Swimming.

Some people are worried about the financial commitment that is associated with Greek Life. How have sisters in your sorority dealt with this issue?

Many sisters in our sorority have dealt with the financial commitment by using the Student Opportunity Fund which is available at Lehigh. There are also scholarships that are available through the Sorority which help to pay for certain conferences or learning opportunities that anyone in the organization may want to partake in.

More information about Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. was founded on November 12, 1922 on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana by 7 educators. For more information about our organization, please visit www.sgrho1922.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tauzeta1922/timeline

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tauzeta1922/